Balancing a Redox Reaction in Acidic Solution

In summary, the student is attempting to balance the equation ICl → Cl- + IO3 + I2 using the oxidation number method. They have determined the changes in oxidation number for each element and have started to cross balance the reactants and products. They have also pointed out that IO3 may not actually be an oxide of iodine.
Bound
I can balance this equation using the half reaction method, but I want to learn to use the oxidation number method with this particular question to "broaden my abilities".

Homework Statement

ICl → Cl- + IO3 + I2

The Attempt at a Solution

I: +1 → +6: lost 5e-
I: +1 → 0: gained 1e-
(I'm unsure of the next step)

Using the half reaction method, I know the balanced equation to be:
12ICl + 6H2O → 5I2 + 12Cl- +2IO3 + 12H+

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I am not sure if IO3 is actually an oxide of Iodine, but if the question is hypothetical, I will do as asked, but for your information, it might be a disproportionation reaction in which the reaction goes as follows :
[itex] ICl \rightarrow I_2 + IO_3^- + Cl^-[/itex]

Note that I formed Iodide Radical, which really exists. But still, I'd take IO3 in the account.

Change in ON to form I2 = 1
Change in ON to form IO3 = 5

Write the LHS as ICl + ICl. Let 1st ICl being oxidised to IO3 and 2nd ICl being reduced to I2. We know their ON change. Now "Cross Balance" the ON difference as coefficients of reactants. Thus LHS becomes

ICl + 5 ICl. (ON diff. of 1st is 5, crossed to 2nd. Likewise, 2nd has ON diff of 1, crossed to 1st)

Now form the respective products from respective reactant stoichiometrically. Form 5/2 I2 from 5 ICl and 1 IO3 from 1 ICl. Now I am sure you can balance the Cl, H and O. That's Oxidation Number method.

Related to Balancing a Redox Reaction in Acidic Solution

What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two species. One species loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

Why is it important to balance a redox reaction in acidic solution?

In order for a chemical reaction to accurately represent what is happening on a molecular level, it must be balanced. When a redox reaction occurs in an acidic solution, there are additional hydrogen ions present that can affect the number of electrons transferred. Thus, balancing the reaction in an acidic solution ensures that the correct number of electrons are transferred and the reaction is accurately represented.

How do you balance a redox reaction in acidic solution?

To balance a redox reaction in acidic solution, the first step is to separate the equation into two half-reactions: the oxidation half-reaction and the reduction half-reaction. Then, balance the number of atoms on each side of the equation by adding coefficients. Next, balance the charge on each side by adding electrons. Finally, multiply each half-reaction by a coefficient to ensure that the number of electrons transferred is the same for both half-reactions.

What is the purpose of using the half-reaction method to balance a redox reaction in acidic solution?

The half-reaction method is a systematic approach to balancing redox reactions in acidic solution. It allows for each half of the reaction to be balanced separately, making the process more manageable. It also ensures that the charge and number of atoms are balanced for each half-reaction before combining them into a balanced overall equation.

Can redox reactions be balanced in basic solution using the same method as in acidic solution?

Yes, redox reactions can also be balanced in basic solution using the half-reaction method. The only difference is that in basic solution, hydroxide ions (OH-) are present instead of hydrogen ions (H+). Therefore, in addition to balancing the atoms and charge, an extra step is required to balance the number of hydrogen and hydroxide ions by adding water molecules to the equation.