Balance Wheel inertia/torque issue.

In summary, the formula given is correct, but make sure to use consistent units for all parameters and to calculate the Mass Moment of Inertia using the correct formula.
horologist101
I am a watchmaker and need some help with the formula and correct units to derive the Frequency of the Balance wheel. I'm am trying to prove the formula with a known Balance Wheel/Spring and Frequency but using all known values still cannot get the formula to work. When I have a working formula then I can make changes to the wheel and spring and predict what the result will be.

Formula given:

T(Hz)= 2∏√[12.M.r.sup.2.l/E.h.e.sup.3]

Issue 1.
in the text
M is described as Mass
'r.sup.2' is described as Radius of Gyration (Rg)
however
M.r.sup.2 is the formula for 2nd Moment of Inertia (Mass x radius)...so I'm not sure if I should be finding Rg or 2nd Moment of Inertia then multiply by the Mass again (M.Rg.sup.2).

Issue 2.
E(Modulus of Elasticity) should be in the units Nmm.sup.2/rad but I can only find E in Gpa ...is there a difference?

Issue 3.
The (Hair)spring is a flat spiral spring (example: 0.30mm high x 0.12mm thick x 260mm long)but when comparing 2 formula for Elasticity 'e' and 'h' are confused so that it is not clear which dimension should be 'e' or 'h' (height and thickness)

0.30 x 0.12.sup.3 = 0.0005184
0.12 x 0.30.sup3 = 0.00324

Issue 4.
The first formula seems to ignore phi θ for some reason (because we are not exceeding the elastic limit of the spring?)
Modulus of Elasticity= 2∏√[12.l.θ/E.h.e.sup.3]

Issue 5.
The Frequency (F) in Hz is also derived from this formula:
F= 1/2∏√(K/I)
Where
K is the spring Constant (Nm/rad)
I is the Mass (Kgm.sup.2)

K is derived from the formula:

K= M/.phi.

Where M = Modulus of Elasticity (back to my problem of working out M)
Where phi θ is described as the 'unit angle of twist' (of the spring) but I've no idea what value this should be (Oscillation of the balance wheel is 270°) and in what units (degrees or radians).

Finally here are the known dimensions of my Balance Wheel and Hairspring:
F(Frequency) = 2.5Hz

Balance Wheel
Wheel Diameter = 17.4mm
R1 (Outside rim radius) = 8.6mm
r2 (Inside rim radius) = 6.8mm
Mass = 0.56gms
Rim Height = 0.75mm
Rim Thickness = 1.8mm
Density = 0.00825 (approx)

Hairspring
E (Modulus of Elasticity) = 221Gpa (this value is a guess based on a range of materials used within the industry for Hairsprings)
l (Length) = 260mm
h (height) = 0.30mm
e (thickness) = 0.12mm
θ (oscillation?) = 270°

I hope this doesn't give anyone a head ache! Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Balance wheel.png
    Balance wheel.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The formula given is correct, but you need to make sure that all of the units are consistent. The Modulus of Elasticity (E) must be in Nmm2/rad, and the Radius of Gyration (r) should be in mm. To calculate the Mass Moment of Inertia (M.r2), you can use the formula M.r2=m.R1^2+m.R2^2, where m is the mass and R1 and R2 are the outer and inner radii of the balance wheel. The units for the Hairspring parameters (e, h, and l) should also be in mm. The hairspring oscillation (θ) should be in radians (since you mentioned the oscillation is 270°, this would be θ = 4.71 rad). For the spring constant (K), you can use the formula K = E.h.e^3/(2pi.l.θ), where E, h, e, l, and θ are all in the same units as above. Once you have all of these values, you can then use the formula T(Hz)= 2∏√[12.M.r.sup.2.l/E.h.e.sup.3] to calculate the frequency of the Balance wheel.

Related to Balance Wheel inertia/torque issue.

1. What is the balance wheel inertia/torque issue?

The balance wheel inertia/torque issue is a phenomenon in mechanical watches where the balance wheel, a critical component responsible for keeping time, experiences changes in its rotational speed due to variations in the amount of torque applied to it. This can result in inaccurate timekeeping and is a common problem in mechanical watches.

2. How does the balance wheel inertia/torque issue affect the accuracy of a watch?

The balance wheel inertia/torque issue can cause the watch to run either faster or slower than the desired rate, resulting in inaccurate timekeeping. This is because any changes in the rotational speed of the balance wheel can directly affect the movement of the watch's hands, leading to time deviations.

3. What are the main causes of the balance wheel inertia/torque issue?

The main causes of the balance wheel inertia/torque issue are external forces such as changes in temperature, magnetic fields, and shocks or impacts. These forces can disrupt the delicate balance between the wheel's inertia and the torque applied to it, causing variations in its rotational speed.

4. How can the balance wheel inertia/torque issue be addressed?

One way to address the balance wheel inertia/torque issue is through the use of a balance spring. This component works in tandem with the balance wheel to regulate its rotational speed and counteract the effects of external forces. Additionally, watchmakers can also adjust the balance wheel's mass or the amount of torque applied to it to improve its accuracy.

5. Is the balance wheel inertia/torque issue unique to mechanical watches?

Yes, the balance wheel inertia/torque issue is specific to mechanical watches as they rely on the balance wheel to keep time. Quartz watches, on the other hand, use a different mechanism known as a quartz crystal oscillator, which is not affected by external forces in the same way as a balance wheel. Therefore, they do not experience the same accuracy issues as mechanical watches.