Balance of the cylinder on the rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation involving a vertical rod and a cylinder with a hole slightly larger than the rod's diameter. There is a second rod attached perpendicular to the cylinder and friction between the main rod and the cylinder. The question is whether we can determine the quantities of frictional forces in the system given the geometry and known mass and applied force. It is also asked whether one frictional force can reach its maximum value while the other does not, and under what conditions this may occur. The conversation also mentions using Newton's laws and the principle of conservation of momentum to solve the problem, but notes that there is a lack of one equation to fully solve it. The conversation concludes by clarifying that the problem is not a homework assignment
Innoko
Imagine such a situation: there is a vertical rod and a cylinder, with the hole diameter sightly larger than the diameter of rod. There is also a second rod, attached to the cylinder perpendicularly. There is a friction between the main rod and the cylinder. It is known, that if we put a cylinder on the rod (watch picture) and apply a force at the edge of the second rod, the system stays rest, i.e. there is lack of rotational and translational motion in it.
On the picture frictional forces are colored with red, reaction forces with green.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44192&stc=1&d=1329845120.jpg

The question is:
-What can we say about frictional forces in the system, if the geometry of the problem is fully known?
-Can we find their quantities, if the mass of the cylinder and the force applied are known?
-Can we answer at least a qualitative question: which one is bigger - applied to the right or to the left corner?
-May they be equal before reaching their maximal quantities (kN, where k is coefficient of friction)?
-Can it be so, that one of them is always reaches it's maximal value and the other doesn't? Under which conditions? The situation is still static!
That's clear for me, that we can write down three equitations: protections of the second Newton's law on vertical (here we can fund sum of friction forces) axis, on horizontal axis (here we from here we can clearly understand, that both reaction forces are equal!) and the equation, that tells us: the total momentum is equal zero. But this way we get 3 equations with 4 variables (both frictional forces and both reaction forces, which are claimed to be equal). Have you got any ideas of how can we find out one more equation?
All bodies are solid.
The force applied is vertical.
PS: it isn't some kind of a homework or other stuff. I just wonder, what is the answer and can't find it myself. You won't find this problem in any book!
PSS: Sorry for my English. Write it down, if you've found some mistakes here, but remember, that it's not the point of the conversation!
Thank you for attention!

Attachments

• BOTBOTR.jpg
    BOTBOTR.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
U may delete this thread, if you find it homework-like. Anyway, I've created one in homework section as it was told to.
Thank you for attention!

Related to Balance of the cylinder on the rod

1. How does balance of the cylinder on the rod work?

The balance of the cylinder on the rod is a result of the forces acting on the system. The weight of the cylinder creates a downward force, while the rod exerts an upward force to support the cylinder. When these forces are equal and opposite, the cylinder remains balanced on the rod.

2. What factors affect the balance of the cylinder on the rod?

The balance of the cylinder on the rod is affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the cylinder, the length and thickness of the rod, and the point of contact between the two objects. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and vibrations can also impact the balance.

3. How can I calculate the balance of the cylinder on the rod?

The balance of the cylinder on the rod can be calculated using the principles of statics. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the system and determining their magnitudes and directions. By setting the sum of the forces to zero, you can solve for the unknowns and determine if the cylinder will remain balanced on the rod.

4. What is the significance of the balance of the cylinder on the rod?

The balance of the cylinder on the rod is important in engineering and physics as it demonstrates the principles of equilibrium and stability. It is also used in various applications, such as balancing objects on a pivot or designing structures that can withstand external forces without tipping over.

5. How can I improve the balance of the cylinder on the rod?

To improve the balance of the cylinder on the rod, you can adjust the factors that affect it, such as the weight and shape of the cylinder, the length and thickness of the rod, and the point of contact between the two objects. Additionally, you can also minimize external forces by reducing air resistance and vibrations, or by using a more stable base for the rod.