Background colors need more differentiation

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary, the user is requesting for more distinct backgrounds to be implemented in the design of the reply box and the line with the report, reply, like, etc. buttons. They have experienced difficulties in typing replies in the correct location due to the lack of color differentiation and the scrolling reply box. The current design is meant to reduce design noise, and the opacity is supposed to improve when the mouse is on the specific post. The user suggests using carriage returns as a solution to avoid clicking into the wrong part of the reply box.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Could we have more distinct backgrounds? For example, the box where the reply is could be better differentiated from the original post. And the line with the report, reply, like, etc. is hardly readable unless the mouse is on that line. And I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally typed replies in the middle of the quote because of the $#%&** scrolling reply box and lack of color differentiation. Please??!

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
is hardly readable unless the mouse is on that line.

This is by design to help reduce design noise. The opacity should improve when the mouse is anywhere on that specific post.

LCKurtz said:
And I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally typed replies in the middle of the quote because of the $#%&** scrolling reply box and lack of color differentiation.

Can you explain this in a different way, I am not sure what you mean.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
And I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally typed replies in the middle of the quote because of the $#%&** scrolling reply box and lack of color differentiation.

One trick that I use to avoid that problem is to use carraige returns to put my cursor in the right place for typing my reply. So I click the +Quote link, scroll to the bottom of the page to click Insert Quotes, and then I hit CR 3 times. That inserts the quote box(es), and positions my cursor 2 lines below the last end-Quote. Maybe give that a try to avoid clicking into the wrong part of the Reply box...?

Related to Background colors need more differentiation

1. Why is it important to have different background colors?

Having different background colors helps to visually differentiate between different sections or elements on a webpage. This can improve the overall design and make it easier for users to navigate and understand the content.

2. How can I choose the right background colors?

When choosing background colors, it is important to consider the purpose and tone of the webpage. For example, a professional website may benefit from a more neutral color scheme, while a creative website may use bolder and brighter colors. It is also important to ensure that the colors chosen have enough contrast to make the content easily readable.

3. Can using too many background colors be distracting?

Yes, using too many background colors can be distracting and overwhelming for users. It is important to have a cohesive color scheme and use colors strategically to highlight important information or elements.

4. How can I test the contrast between background colors?

There are many online tools available that can help test the contrast between background colors. These tools allow you to input the colors you want to use and will provide a rating based on the accessibility guidelines for contrast.

5. Can background colors affect the accessibility of a website?

Yes, background colors can greatly impact the accessibility of a website. It is important to choose colors that have enough contrast to make the content easily readable for all users, including those with visual impairments. Additionally, certain color combinations can cause issues for users with color blindness. It is important to consider accessibility when choosing background colors for a website.