Back to engineering after a 5-year scholarship bond in fund management?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they should accept a scholarship from a fund management company that requires them to work for the company for 5 years after graduation. They are interested in fund management but also have a passion for engineering and want to know if they can still pursue a career in engineering after fulfilling the bond. They also ask if admission into a Masters or PhD program in engineering would require prior work experience in the field.
J**
Hi all,
This forum has been a great resource for me for quite some time, but this is my first time posting a thread.

A fund management company is willing to sponsor my undergraduate studies in engineering at a top university. The 'catch' is I have to work 5 years for them after I graduate. However, I don't really mind, though. It's not just because I need the money for my studies; it's also because I find fund management interesting and this company is known for being able to provide excellent training and offer challenging tasks for its scholars.

Nevertheless, I choose to study engineering because I really want to have a career in engineering. Is it possible for me to go back to engineering after the 5-year bond? Or is it possible to apply for postgrad in engineering after the 5-year bond, then venture into engineering upon attaining the postgrad?

Thanks in advance for your insights :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does admission into Masters/PhD in Engineering require a career in engineering before that?
Are undergraduate research and grades, along with some engineering-related activities after I graduate, sufficient?

Related to Back to engineering after a 5-year scholarship bond in fund management?

1. What is the process for returning to engineering after completing a 5-year scholarship bond in fund management?

The process for returning to engineering after completing a 5-year scholarship bond in fund management may vary depending on the specific scholarship program and the individual's circumstances. Generally, it involves notifying the scholarship provider of your intention to return to engineering, completing any necessary paperwork, and potentially undergoing a re-evaluation of your academic or professional qualifications. It is important to communicate with the scholarship provider and carefully follow their guidelines to ensure a smooth transition back to engineering.

2. How can I explain to potential employers the gap in my engineering experience due to the scholarship bond?

It is important to be honest and transparent about the gap in your engineering experience due to the scholarship bond. You can explain that you took advantage of a unique opportunity to pursue a scholarship in fund management, which allowed you to develop valuable skills and knowledge in a different field. Emphasize how this experience has enhanced your overall skill set and how you are eager to apply your expertise to engineering projects.

3. Will my experience in fund management be beneficial in my engineering career?

Absolutely! Many skills and knowledge gained in fund management, such as financial analysis, project management, and problem-solving, are transferable to engineering. You may also have a unique perspective and understanding of the business side of engineering projects, which can be valuable in certain roles. Be sure to highlight these transferable skills and experiences to potential employers.

4. Are there any resources or programs available to help me reacclimate to the engineering field?

There may be resources or programs available through your scholarship provider or engineering associations to help you reacclimate to the engineering field. These may include refresher courses, networking events, or mentorship opportunities. It is also beneficial to connect with other engineers who have gone through a similar transition to gain insight and advice.

5. How can I ensure a smooth transition back to engineering after a 5-year scholarship bond in fund management?

To ensure a smooth transition back to engineering, it is important to plan ahead and communicate with all relevant parties. This may include your current employer, the scholarship provider, and potential employers. Be proactive in updating your resume and skills, and be prepared to explain how your experience in fund management has added value to your engineering career. Additionally, stay up-to-date on industry developments and network with other engineers to stay connected to the field.