Axis of Rotation: Rotate About Other Axes?

In summary, a rigid body rotating about an axis will only have one instantaneous axis of rotation, but its motion can be described as a combination of translational motion of a selected point plus rotational motion about an axis that passes through that point. This can be seen in examples such as a lever rotating about a pivot point or a rocket changing orientation. However, the moment of inertia will change if the axis of rotation is changed.
aniket7tomar
Does a body rotating about an axis also rotate about any other axis?
Eg. Cars on a racetrack may be rotating about a vertical axis passing through the centre of the track but can they also be considered to be rotating about a vertical axis passing through the spectators' stand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Specific question - no. In general the terms rotate and revolve have different meanings. The Earth rotates about the axis defined by the north and south poles. The Earth revolves around the sun.

I think you misunderstood the question or i am unable to understand the reply...
What i asked was that in the fig. If body b is rotating about axis aa' then can we say that there can be an axis mm' parallel to aa' about which the body's motion can be described as rotation?
Can that happen with any axis parallel to aa'?

Attachments

• 1391807980468.jpg
    1391807980468.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 487
The moment of inertia will be different if you change the axis of rotation.

But while a moving body will have angular momentum wrt any stationary line, it will only have one instantaneous axis of rotation - this is the axis for which every element of the body has the same angular acceleration.

Likes 1 person
I was going to say that if a rigid body is rotating about an axis, then each point on the body remains the same distance from the axis. Surely this can be the case only with a single axis.

Likes 1 person
I was under the impression that i understood your answer but then later i thought about how when a disc is rolling 'purely' we can consider it to be rotating about an instantaneous axis passing through the pt. in contact with the ground as well as a moving instantaneous axis through the centre of mass?
Pls. tell

a7t: I see what you mean. My post exemplifies fools rushing in where angels fear to tread. I'd say that the instantaneous rotation axis was the line of contact with the ground, but it is certainly true that the velocity of each point on the disc can be constructed by adding a constant 'forward' velocity to a velocity due to rotation about a stationary axis through the centre of the disc. Nonetheless, in our ordinary frame of reference, I'd say it was not correct to claim that the disc is rotating about its centre. I suspect this is controversial. Let's hope you get more replies to your interesting question.

Likes 1 person
aniket7tomar said:
I think you misunderstood the question or i am unable to understand the reply...
What i asked was that in the fig. If body b is rotating about axis aa' then can we say that there can be an axis mm' parallel to aa' about which the body's motion can be described as rotation?
Yes.

You can pick any arbitrary point on (or even off of) the body and describe the 6 DOF motion of the body as a combination of translational motion of that selected point plus rotational motion about an axis that passes through that point.

Likes 1 person
A couple of specific examples:

1. A lever rotating about a pivot point, or a door that opens on a hinge. Here there is a fixed point (or set of fixed points) on the rotating object that doesn't undergo translation. It oftentimes make more sense to describe the behavior in terms of pure rotation about this fixed point than describing it in terms of translation of the center of mass and rotation about the center of mass. If you do the latter, you need to add constraint forces / constraint torques to the description so as to keep the fixed point fixed.

2. A rocket that goes from a vertical orientation on the ground to a horizontal orientation ten minutes later, in the process expelling 95% of its mass. With a center of mass description, you need to account for the fact that the center of mass moves within the rocket if you want to accurately model where that rocket will be after that ten minutes. There are different uglinesses that come into play a fixed point description (e.g., translation of / rotation about the nose of the rocket).

Related to Axis of Rotation: Rotate About Other Axes?

1. What is an axis of rotation?

An axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which an object rotates. It acts as the center of rotation and all points on the object move in a circular motion around this line.

2. Can an object rotate about multiple axes?

Yes, an object can rotate about multiple axes simultaneously. This is known as compound rotation and is commonly seen in complex movements, such as those of gymnasts or dancers.

3. How do you calculate the axis of rotation?

The axis of rotation can be calculated by finding the intersection of two perpendicular lines passing through the object's center of mass. This point of intersection will act as the axis of rotation.

4. What is the difference between rotating about different axes?

Rotating about different axes will result in different types of motion for the object. For example, rotating about the x-axis will result in a rolling motion, while rotating about the y-axis will result in a spinning motion.

5. Can the axis of rotation change for a rotating object?

Yes, the axis of rotation can change for a rotating object. This can occur if the object's center of mass shifts or if an external force is applied, causing the object to rotate about a different axis.