Axiomatic Set Theory: Book Recommendations?

In summary, the conversation recommends starting with learning about abstract algebra and real analysis before diving into axiomatic set theory and Gödel's theorems. Some suggested books include Pinter's "A Book of Abstract Algebra," Bloch's "The Real Numbers and Real Analysis," Stillwell's "The Real Numbers: An Introduction to Set Theory and Analysis," Kline's "Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times," and Gensler's "Gödel's Theorem Simplified." It is also advised to not self-study and to seek guidance when needed.
UncertaintyAjay
So I just finished "Book of Proof" and I'm looking for a more rigourous book on axiomatic set theory, including Gödel's theorems.Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, Gödel's theorems are not a part of set theory, they are rather a part of mathematical logic.

If you just finished book of proof, then you are likely not ready to tackle Gödel's theorems or axiomatic set theory. I'm sure you could formally understand the notions though. But you wouldn't understand the underlying motivations and intuition. For example, why was axiomatic set theory necessary, and what exactly is Gödel's theorems about? This requires some familiarity with the rest of mathematics. Furthermore, if you finished the book of proof, then you are likely not very skilled in proofs yet.

So what I propose is to first learn a bit on abstract algebra and real analysis. This will help you greatly to obtain more intuition for set theory and Gödel. Furthermore, I encourage you to read up on the history and philosophy of mathematics. Gödel is merely the last chapter in a story that has been going on since the ancient Greeks! So knowing the full story is important.

Some good books to read:
Pinter's "A book of abstract algebra" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486474178/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This is necessary because abstract structures such as groups and rings will be generalized in mathematical logic. So it is good to be acquainted with such structures first, before seeing the generalization.

Bloch's "The real numbers and real analysis" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387721762/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This book is good because it develops mathematics from the ground up. It only accepts sets as given, and then it builds the natural, integers, rational numbers and real numbers. It goes on to develop most of calculus rigorously. This book is necessary because you need to understand what questions set theory wanted to answer. Knowing the Peano axioms and the construction of the real numbers is absolutely crucial for that. Not an easy book though!

Stillwell's "The real numbers : an introduction to set theory and analysis" https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319015761/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This book starts with some very foundational questions important to set theory, and then answers them. Stillwell is a great writer too!

Kline's "Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times, Vol 1 and 2" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195061357/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Very comprehensive history of mathematics. Very worth reading. You don't need to read all of them of course, but it's important to get a historical grasp on what questions were important in set theory.

Gensler: "Gödel's theorem simplified" https://www.amazon.com/dp/081913869X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
If you're interested in Gödel's theorem (or one of them), then there is no better book to start than this. It is quite easy, but very worth reading.

Do not hesitate to contact me for more questions or for guidance!

Thanks a lot. Looks like I have a lot to catch up on. :p

If you want set theory, I recall that Jech/Hrbacek is quite decent, if concise. Just don't accidentally get Jech's graduate book on set theory, that would be way too advanced.

If you want a wordier book, Suppes is nice because he proves every theorem in the book, so it's nice to try to prove them yourself to gain confidence.

verty said:
If you want set theory, I recall that Jech/Hrbacek is quite decent, if concise. Just don't accidentally get Jech's graduate book on set theory, that would be way too advanced.

Hrbacek and Jech is awesome. It's still my favorite book on axiomatic set theory.

If you want a wordier book, Suppes is nice because he proves every theorem in the book, so it's nice to try to prove them yourself to gain confidence.

A word of warning: I have seen a few people who read Suppes and who somehow were very misinformed about things. I don't know why that is, because the book really is decent. I just think it is not safe to self-study things like this.

Related to Axiomatic Set Theory: Book Recommendations?

1. What is Axiomatic Set Theory?

Axiomatic Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets and their properties. It is based on a set of axioms, or fundamental principles, that serve as the foundation for all mathematical reasoning involving sets.

2. Why is Axiomatic Set Theory important?

Axiomatic Set Theory is important because it provides a rigorous and formal framework for understanding sets and their properties. It also serves as the basis for many other areas of mathematics, such as topology, algebra, and analysis.

3. What are some recommended books on Axiomatic Set Theory?

Some recommended books on Axiomatic Set Theory include "Introduction to Axiomatic Set Theory" by Gaisi Takeuti and Wilson M. Zaring, "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen, and "A Course in Mathematical Logic" by J. Shoenfield.

4. Who should read books on Axiomatic Set Theory?

Books on Axiomatic Set Theory are primarily aimed at mathematicians and students of mathematics, particularly those interested in the foundations of mathematics and mathematical logic. However, anyone with a strong background in mathematics and a curiosity about the nature of sets may also find these books interesting and informative.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on Axiomatic Set Theory?

Yes, a solid understanding of mathematical concepts such as logic, proofs, and basic set theory is necessary before tackling books on Axiomatic Set Theory. Some familiarity with abstract algebra and topology may also be helpful. It is recommended to have at least a college-level mathematics background before diving into this subject.