Average Speed - isn't this average velocity?

In summary, the billiard ball travels a total of 0.44m [S], bounces off another ball and travels 0.88m [N], then bounces off the edge of the billiard table and comes to rest 0.12m [S] from that edge. The entire motion is one-dimensional and takes 2.4s. To calculate the average speed of the ball, we need to add up all the distances (0+0.44+0.88+0.12) and divide by the time (2.4), giving us an average speed of 0.60 m/s. The final position of the ball is 0.32m [N], which can be calculated
KaseyK
A billiard ball travels 0.44m from its original position, bounces off another ball and travels 0.88m [N], then bounces off the edge of the billiard table coming to rest 0.12m from that edge. The entire motion is one-dimentional and takes 2.4s. (a) calculate the average speed of the ball.

Okay the answer at the back of the book is 0.60 m/s. Firstly, I thought that 'average speed' is actually 'average velocity'.

If that is the case then average velocity is delta d / t. If I take 0.12(d2) - 0 (d1) / 2.4 I get 0.05 m/s. Which according to the book is incorrect. The only way that I get the correct answer if it I add up all the distances (0+0.44+0.88+0.12) and divide by the time (2.4) = 0.60 m/s.

I'm confused on why I should be adding up all the distances instead of taking the final distance minus the original distance, divided by the time?

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
KaseyK said:
A billiard ball travels 0.44m from its original position, bounces off another ball and travels 0.88m [N], then bounces off the edge of the billiard table coming to rest 0.12m from that edge. The entire motion is one-dimentional and takes 2.4s. (a) calculate the average speed of the ball.

Okay the answer at the back of the book is 0.60 m/s. Firstly, I thought that 'average speed' is actually 'average velocity'.

If that is the case then average velocity is delta d / t. If I take 0.12(d2) - 0 (d1) / 2.4 I get 0.05 m/s. Which according to the book is incorrect. The only way that I get the correct answer if it I add up all the distances (0+0.44+0.88+0.12) and divide by the time (2.4) = 0.60 m/s.

I'm confused on why I should be adding up all the distances instead of taking the final distance minus the original distance, divided by the time?

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.

Speed is the instantaneous rate of displacement. It is a scalar of the velocity vector.

If you figure average speed, then you need total distance traveled.

If it would be average velocity then it would be just the displacement from initial location to final.

Thank you very much. That is so much more clearer.

I did have an additional question if you don't mind. The (b) part asks me to calculate the final position of the ball. The answer is 0.32m [N].

I was trying to use one of the various kinematic equations however I feel like I'm missing information.

For example I don't have the acceleration so anything with acceleration in it I have to avoid. That leaves only one equation: delta d = 1/2(v2+v1)delta t

V1 is zero but I don't have V2 so I can't use this equation either.

Are you guys able to offer some advise or tips for solving this? I certainly don't expect you to do this for me I'm just looking for some guideance.

Thanks so much.
Kasey

KaseyK said:
Thank you very much. That is so much more clearer.

I did have an additional question if you don't mind. The (b) part asks me to calculate the final position of the ball. The answer is 0.32m [N].

I was trying to use one of the various kinematic equations however I feel like I'm missing information.

For example I don't have the acceleration so anything with acceleration in it I have to avoid. That leaves only one equation: delta d = 1/2(v2+v1)delta t

V1 is zero but I don't have V2 so I can't use this equation either.

Are you guys able to offer some advise or tips for solving this? I certainly don't expect you to do this for me I'm just looking for some guideance.

Thanks so much.
Kasey

The problem is not one of equations. It's vector addition.

.44 S, .88 N, .12 S

.44 S = - .44 N

.88 - .44 - .12 = .32 N

Related to Average Speed - isn't this average velocity?

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

While both average speed and average velocity are measures of how fast an object is moving, they differ in that average speed only considers the magnitude of the motion, while average velocity takes into account the direction of the motion as well.

2. Why is it important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity?

It is important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity because they provide different information about an object's motion. Average speed tells us how fast an object is moving on average, while average velocity tells us how fast and in what direction an object is moving on average.

3. Can the average speed be greater than the average velocity?

Yes, the average speed can be greater than the average velocity. This can happen when an object moves in multiple directions and the average velocity takes into account the direction changes, while the average speed does not.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. This gives us the average speed and direction of the object's motion.

5. Is average velocity always constant?

No, average velocity is not always constant. It can change if an object's speed or direction of motion changes. However, if an object's average velocity is constant, it means that its speed and direction of motion are not changing over time.