Average Problem [Need Formula]

In summary, to find the average value of all the students, we can use a weighted average formula. Given that the average test score of 36 students is 86 and four students have an average score of 80, the average value of all the students can be calculated by using the formula: $\overline{x}=\frac{36\cdot86+4\cdot80}{36+4}=85.8$. This means that the average test score of all the students is 85.8.
zidan3311
hi all..

how to make formula for problem below :

The average math test scores of 36 students is 86. There are four students attend subsequent replications and obtain an average value of 80. Find the average value of all the students!

can you make simple?

zidan3311

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the average and how it's worked out?

Could you find the total sum for the 36 students using the average given and the fact there are 36 students in the sample size?

You could use what's called a weighted average here. Suppose you have $n$ groups, and each group has a mean of $\overline{x_i}$ and $m_i$ members. Then the mean $\overline{x}$ of all groups combined is given by:

[box=blue]
Weighted Average

\(\displaystyle \overline{x}=\frac{\sum\limits_{i=1}^{n}\left(m_i\cdot\overline{x_i}\right)}{\sum\limits_{i=1}^{n}\left(m_i\right)}\tag{1}\)[/box]

In your case, you have 2 groups ($n=2$), where:

\(\displaystyle m_1=36,\,\overline{x_1}=86,\,m_2=4,\,\overline{x_2}=80\)

And so what do you get when you apply this data to (1)?

Related to Average Problem [Need Formula]

What is the average problem?

The average problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the average, or mean, of a set of numbers. The average is calculated by adding all the numbers in the set and dividing by the total number of numbers in the set.

What is the formula for finding the average?

The formula for finding the average is:
Average = (Sum of all numbers in the set) / (Total number of numbers in the set)

How do I solve an average problem?

To solve an average problem, follow these steps:
1. Add all the numbers in the set.
2. Count the total number of numbers in the set.
3. Use the formula: Average = (Sum of all numbers in the set) / (Total number of numbers in the set)
4. The result is the average of the set.

Can the average be calculated for any set of numbers?

Yes, the average can be calculated for any set of numbers, including positive and negative numbers, decimals, and fractions.

What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean, median, and mode are all measures of central tendency, but they are calculated differently. The mean is the average of a set of numbers, while the median is the middle number when the numbers are arranged in order. The mode is the number that appears most frequently in the set.