Average energy of a harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the average energy of a harmonic oscillator at a given temperature, using the Planck distribution function. The speaker was looking for a resource that covers this topic and provides a derivation of the relation between energy and the Planck distribution. Some recommended resources include the textbooks by Shankar and Sakurai, as well as online lecture notes by Griffiths.
Rajini
Hello PF members,
Is there some good book, which contain the derivation of average energy of a harmonic oscillator at temperature T. I want to derive from Planck's distribution (PD) function (<n>=(exp(##\hbar\omega/kT##)-1)##^{-1}##)...to get the following relation:
energy E= (##\hbar\omega##/2)+(##\hbar\omega##/PD). I referred to some books/www..they mainly refer E= ##\hbar\omega##(n+(1/2))...stating n as 0,1,2,3,etc...
But i think this n is simply the PD..
Can some one help me..
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.There is no single book that covers all of the topics you're asking about, but there are several good resources available. A great starting point would be the textbook by Shankar, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" (2nd edition). This book contains a thorough discussion of the harmonic oscillator and its properties, including the average energy at a given temperature. Additionally, Shankar provides a derivation of the Planck distribution function and its application to the harmonic oscillator. Another useful resource is the textbook by Sakurai, "Modern Quantum Mechanics" (2nd edition). This book also contains a detailed discussion of the harmonic oscillator and its properties, including the energy at a given temperature. In this book, the derivation of the Planck distribution is provided, as well as a discussion of the relation between the energy and the Planck distribution. Finally, you may want to check out the online lecture notes by Griffiths, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" (2nd edition). These lecture notes provide a comprehensive overview of the harmonic oscillator, including a derivation of the Planck distribution and the corresponding relation between the energy and the Planck distribution. I hope this information is helpful!

Hello there,

The average energy of a harmonic oscillator at temperature T can indeed be derived from the Planck distribution function. The expression for the average energy is given by <E> = (1/ PD) * ∑n E(n) * P(n), where E(n) is the energy of the oscillator in the nth energy level and P(n) is the probability of the oscillator being in that energy level.

Using the Planck distribution function, we can write the probability as P(n) = (exp( -E(n)/kT) / (1 - exp(-E(n)/kT)). Substituting this in the expression for average energy, we get <E> = (1/ PD) * ∑n E(n) * (exp( -E(n)/kT) / (1 - exp(-E(n)/kT)).

Now, for a harmonic oscillator, the energy levels are given by E(n) = (n + 1/2) * ℏω. Substituting this in the above expression and simplifying, we get <E> = (ℏω/2) + (ℏω/PD). This is the relation that you were looking for.

I hope this helps. If you need more clarification or assistance, please feel free to ask. Also, there are many good books that cover this topic, such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics" by Leonard I. Schiff. I suggest you refer to these for a more detailed derivation and understanding of the average energy of a harmonic oscillator.

Related to Average energy of a harmonic oscillator

1. What is the definition of average energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The average energy of a harmonic oscillator is the average amount of energy that a system possesses over a period of time. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible energy values and dividing it by the number of values.

2. How is the average energy of a harmonic oscillator related to its frequency?

The average energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the average energy also increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating the average energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The formula for calculating the average energy of a harmonic oscillator is: E = (n + 1/2) , where n is the quantum number and is the frequency.

4. How does temperature affect the average energy of a harmonic oscillator?

Temperature has a direct effect on the average energy of a harmonic oscillator. As temperature increases, the average energy also increases because the particles in the system have more kinetic energy.

5. What is the significance of the average energy of a harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

The average energy of a harmonic oscillator is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps to describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of materials and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation.