Automatic double lens glasses?

• I
  • Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Can autofocusing glasses exist?
I think camera lens are two lens that work in tandem to focus or zoom onto the sensor, but I was wondering how great a distance must exist between the lenses to get full range of focus young people have? Certainly can't strap a telephoto length lens to a person's face. Cameras can auto focus and I know they have devices that follow our eye position so it can know the object of interest. At this point such a thing would likely be too expensive, but can anyone imagine it being possible to help those with severe presbyopia?

Science news on Phys.org
A telephoto lens enlarges the image of very diatant objects. Many cell phones have focusing lenses that have moving parts. So that is a small space to fit in. These focus the image onto a nearby sensor.

That is pretty compact. I guess the bigger question is how quickly focus could change between like 8cm and .5 miles to get pretty full young vision range. I will have to look into the camera autofocus and eye trackers.

Without my glasses, I can focus on anything beyond infinity.
I have lost most of the elasticity of my lens, but I only really need three different strengths of lens to fully function. Driving =+2 diopter, inside a room or workshop = +3, or close reading +4.

The accuracy of an autofocus mechanism is not critical, it only needs to handle somewhere near those three values.

The speed of an autofocus mechanism is critical, when I am driving I need to see the road, and the instruments/GPS, all in a cycle of less than one second. For driving, I use bifocals and keep my head level.

Cleaning requires multi-element lenses have only two exposed surfaces, so will need to be sealed.

There are liquid or fluid-filled adjustable lenses, that are adjusted by changing the internal fluid volume/pressure. Google them.

Likes scottdave