Automated Camera Clicking: Get Your Ideas Here!

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to take pictures at regular intervals without physically being near the camera. Suggestions include using an intervalometer, checking if the camera has customizable internal timers, contacting Nikon customer support, or using a smartphone application. It is mentioned that the Nikon CoolPix 4100 does not have a remote or an infrared sensor, but it may be possible to trigger it through USB using certain software or applications.
guss
Camera "clicker"

I need to take a picture every 5-60 seconds for about 2.5 hours. The problem is, I won't be near my camera when I do that. I want to make something to attach to the "clicker" or whatever it's called on the camera that will click it about that often. The button definitely doesn't push down that easily (not too much force is required, though).

I need an idea on how to do this. It could be anything. Anyone have anything? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What kind of camera?
Most have either an electronic socket or an infrared sensor for a remote release
The gadget you are looking for is called an intervalometer

It's a Nikon CoolPix 4100, not sure if it has an electronic socket or an infrared sensor, and it definitely didn't come with an intervalometer.

Many cameras have customizable internal timers. I'm not familiar with that camera, but it's worth checking the manual for.

Alternatively, write Nikon customer support an email? Maybe they can help.

I'm not aware of any software which might allow this if you connect w/ USB.. It might exist though.

guss said:
It's a Nikon CoolPix 4100.
According do the specs it doesn't have a remote
You might be able to trigger it through the usb with either http://www.gphoto.org/ or Nikon's own sdk

If you had an Android phone (maybe iPhone too) there are applications that can do just this with ease.

Related to Automated Camera Clicking: Get Your Ideas Here!

1. How does automated camera clicking work?

Automated camera clicking uses a programmed mechanism to control the shutter release and take pictures without the need for manual operation. This can range from simple timers to more advanced systems that can detect movement or sound to trigger the camera.

2. What types of cameras can be used with automated camera clicking?

Most modern digital cameras, including DSLRs, point-and-shoot cameras, and even smartphone cameras, can be used with automated camera clicking. However, it is important to ensure that the camera is compatible with the specific automated clicking system being used.

3. Is automated camera clicking useful for all types of photography?

Automated camera clicking can be useful for a variety of photography styles, including landscape, wildlife, and even portrait photography. However, it may not be suitable for fast-paced or unpredictable subjects, such as sports photography, where manual operation may be more effective.

4. Can I customize the settings for automated camera clicking?

Yes, most automated camera clicking systems allow for customization of settings such as interval time, number of shots, and trigger sensitivity. This allows for more control and flexibility in capturing the desired shots.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using automated camera clicking?

One potential disadvantage of automated camera clicking is the risk of missing shots due to technical issues or malfunctions. It is also important to consider the potential disruption or disturbance to the subject being photographed, especially in wildlife photography. Additionally, some photographers may prefer the control and creativity that comes with manual operation.