Automate clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code?

kolleamm
I want to create a program that can type and click for me on any Windows app without access to the source code. This would save a lot of time doing boring and repetitive tasks. Is this possible?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The Sendkeys utility is one way to send text to another Windows application. I have not used it in a long time. I remember(?) that you can use tasklist to get the application PID. Then set the focus to that PID. Then you need to use sendkeys to send tabs to move to the desired input box. Then use sendkeys to send the desired text. Some pause between sendkeys is needed.

PS. If the Windows app has command line options for what you want, that is probably much simpler.

Likes kolleamm
kolleamm said:
Lots of good info here, not sure which one to choose, some seem to require knowing class names but I'll check them out, thanks.
When I was doing a lot of this, I made a small C program that took a command-line text in argv and called sendkeys to send it to the Windows application. Then I used a Perl script to do all the work and logic of getting the PID, calling my C program, and pausing between steps.

1. How can I automate clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code?

There are several software programs available that allow you to automate clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code. Some popular options include AutoHotkey, Sikuli, and Macro Recorder. These programs use scripting or recording functions to mimic user inputs and automate tasks on Windows apps.

2. Do I need programming experience to automate clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code?

No, most automation software programs have user-friendly interfaces that do not require programming experience. However, some knowledge of scripting or coding may be helpful for more complex tasks.

3. Is it legal to use automation software on Windows apps?

Using automation software on Windows apps is generally legal, as long as it does not violate the terms of service or user agreement of the specific app. However, it is important to use automation software responsibly and ethically, and to obtain permission if you are automating tasks for a business or organization.

4. Can I customize the automation process for different Windows apps?

Yes, most automation software programs allow you to customize the automation process for different Windows apps. This may include specifying which buttons to click, which fields to fill, and the timing of each action.

5. Are there any limitations to automating clicks and typing on Windows apps without source code?

There may be limitations depending on the complexity of the task and the capabilities of the automation software. Some apps may have security features that prevent automation, and certain tasks may require advanced programming skills. It is important to research and test the capabilities of the automation software before attempting to automate a task.