Augmented matrices and solution sets - Please help - exam is tomorrow

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution set for a system of equations by row reduction and also mentions searching for the nullspace. The solution set is found to be (1,0,0)+ { a(2,-1,0) + b(-3,0,1) | a,b are in reals}. The reason for setting y and z equal to 0 is explained, but the question of why x cannot be set to 0 is left unanswered.
stukbv
Basically there are 2 equations ;

x+2y+3z = 1 2x+4y+6z=2
I put them into a matrix and row reduce to get

1 2 3 | 1
0 0 0 | 0

so we can say x = 1 - 2y -3z and let y and z = 0 to get a solution is (1,0,0)
Now i need to find the nullspace to find the whole solution set;

so x + 2y + 3z = 0

Ive been told the full answer to the set of solutions is
(1,0,0)+ { a(2,-1,0) + b(-3,0,1) | a,b are in reals}

How do they get those solutions for the nullspace, i can see they have set y = 0 and z=0 to get the 2 vectors but how do you know which ones to set = 0, i.e. why couldn't i set x =0 to get a solution in the nullspace??

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
stukbv said:
Basically there are 2 equations ;

x+2y+3z = 1 2x+4y+6z=2
I put them into a matrix and row reduce to get

1 2 3 | 1
0 0 0 | 0

so we can say x = 1 - 2y -3z and let y and z = 0 to get a solution is (1,0,0)

Hmm, I don't quite get why you're going to search the nullspace now. You already solved the system, that is, you know that the set of solutions is

[tex]\{(1-2a-3b,a,b)~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}=\{(1,0,0)+a(-2,1,0)+b(-3,0,1)~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}=(1,0,0)+\{a(-2,1,0)+b(-3,0,1)~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

It's not wrong to search for the nullspace, but it's a bit useless...

ok thanks

Related to Augmented matrices and solution sets - Please help - exam is tomorrow

1. What are augmented matrices and how are they used to solve equations?

Augmented matrices are used to represent a system of linear equations in a compact form. They are created by combining the coefficients and constants of the equations into a single matrix. The matrix can then be manipulated using matrix operations to solve for the variables.

2. What is the process for solving a system of equations using augmented matrices?

The process for solving a system of equations using augmented matrices involves performing row operations on the matrix to reduce it to row-echelon form. This involves using combinations of multiplication, addition, and subtraction to eliminate variables and solve for the remaining variables. Once the matrix is in row-echelon form, the solution can be easily determined.

3. How do I know if a system of equations has no solution?

If the row-echelon form of the augmented matrix contains a row of all zeros except for the last column (the constants), then the system has no solution. This indicates that the equations are inconsistent and cannot be satisfied by any set of values for the variables.

4. Can augmented matrices be used for systems of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, augmented matrices can be used for systems of equations with any number of variables. The number of columns in the matrix will correspond to the number of variables in the system. However, solving systems with more than three variables can become more complex and may require the use of advanced techniques.

5. Are augmented matrices the only way to solve systems of equations?

No, there are other methods for solving systems of equations such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. Augmented matrices are just one approach and may be preferred for their efficiency and simplicity when dealing with systems of equations with many variables.