Atoms and particles have waves

In summary, particles have a wave nature, just like light and waves have a particle nature. This concept was introduced in quantum mechanics to mathematically explain the behavior of particles passing through a barrier with two openings. The introduction of waves in this theory is solely to match experimental results and does not provide an explanation for the cause of these waves. It is important to note that physics describes nature, but does not dictate how it works. While atoms and particles can have a wave nature, it is undetectable in larger objects due to the small wavelength. The wavelength of any object is determined by its momentum, as given by the formula \lambda = \frac{h}{p}.
elas
I believe I am correct in saying that atoms and particles have waves that can be both predicted and observed (if not please tell me) but, is there a mathematical explanation for the cause of these waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, particles have a wave nature, just like light and waves have a particle nature. It is more of a postulate in quantum mechanics. It's like saying the speed of light is c and constant in relativity. No real cause, it just "is" because that is what is observed experimentally.

The concept of waves in QM was introduced in order to explain mathematecally the behaviour of two elektronbeams passing through a wall with two openings. One calculates the probability to "see" a particle when one opening is closed. Let's say it is P_1. Then we do the same when the other opening is closed and we get probabilty P_2. The probabilty to see a particle when the two openings are open is NOT P_1 + P_2 as predicted by classical statistics. This probability is (a_1 + a_2)² when these a-numbers are the amplitude of a wave. Hence the wave-vision.

Keep in mind that fysics describes nature, it does not tell how nature has to work ! So these waves are introduced in order to match the experiments and nothing more !

regards
marlon

On Theory Development PF I posted my concept of fundamental particle structure based on vacuum force. Trying to justifly my claim using radii did not succeed, but using electron orbitals produced an unexpected wave pattern. I can now develope this discovery with some hope of making progress.
Like all the nutcases on Theory Developement I am probably wrong, but keeping in touch with current teaching and standards (sanity?) helps to maintain a sensible course and for that I thank you both.

elas said:
I believe I am correct in saying that atoms and particles have waves that can be both predicted and observed (if not please tell me) but, is there a mathematical explanation for the cause of these waves?

"have waves" would not really be the right way to say it. As another poster above said, its better to say that atoms "have a wave nature". This means that if you perform an experiment like double slit diffraction, you will observe effects that can only be explained in terms of wave.

In theory, everything from molecules and proteins, to marbles and baseballs has a wave nature, but if you calculate the wavelength of large objects it is so small as to be undetectable.

its better to say that atoms "have a wave nature".

I agree that this is a much better statement,and it is exactly what I hope to demomstrate next on Theory Development PF but that will take another week or so to do in outline and I am probably not sufficiently skilled to complete the work for atoms with more than three or four electrons; but, ever hopeful I have ordered a book from the library on atomic structure.

the wavellength of anything is:
[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{p} [/tex]

Related to Atoms and particles have waves

1. What is the relationship between atoms and particles having waves?

The relationship between atoms and particles having waves is based on the concept of wave-particle duality. This means that at the subatomic level, particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. In the case of atoms, electrons can behave as both particles and waves. This is supported by experiments such as the double-slit experiment where electrons behave like waves when passing through a barrier with two slits.

2. How do waves affect the behavior of atoms and particles?

Waves can affect the behavior of atoms and particles by causing interference patterns. When waves interact, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, depending on their phase. This can be observed in the behavior of electrons, which can form interference patterns when passing through a double-slit barrier. Waves can also determine the position and momentum of particles, as described by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

3. Can all particles exhibit wave-like behavior?

No, not all particles can exhibit wave-like behavior. The wave-particle duality concept only applies to particles at the subatomic level, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. Larger particles, such as atoms, molecules, and objects in our everyday world, do not exhibit wave-like behavior.

4. How does the wave-like behavior of particles impact our understanding of the physical world?

The wave-like behavior of particles has had a significant impact on our understanding of the physical world. It has challenged the traditional view of particles as solid, mass-filled objects and has led to the development of quantum mechanics. This has allowed us to better understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and make predictions about their behavior, leading to advancements in technology and science.

5. Can we observe the wave-like behavior of particles in our daily lives?

No, we cannot observe the wave-like behavior of particles in our daily lives. This is because the behavior of particles at the subatomic level is only observable through advanced and precise scientific experiments. In our daily lives, particles behave according to classical physics, where they are seen as solid objects with definite properties like position and momentum. However, the effects of the wave-like behavior of particles can be observed in technology such as computers and transistors, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics.