Atomic transition and cavity axial-mode frequencies

In summary, the cavity axial-mode frequencies are important for understanding the round-trip dynamics inside the laser cavity, but do not directly affect the frequency output of the laser beam. These frequencies can be amplified using the lasing medium, and the resonant frequency spacing can be adjusted to achieve a desired frequency output. To design a laser with a specific wavelength, a Fabry-Perot Etalon can be added for greater wavelength selectivity.
DivGradCurl
Hello folks,

I would like to know whether or not the cavity axial-mode frequencies have any influence on the frequency output of the laser beam. I suppose that the atomic transition from excited state to ground state is the only occurrence responsible for the wavelength, whereas the axial-mode frequencies are only important to understand the round-trip dynamics inside the cavity. Please help me clarify these ideas. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been looking into this question and it seems that the cavity axial (i.e. longitudinal) modes are the frequencies that you can amplify using the lasing medium. The frequency range that is actually amplified falls within the atomic gain profile, and one can design the cavity in order to specify such range. The mode (i.e. resonant frequency) spacing comes into play in order to achieve this result. So, here comes another naive question along the same lines: if you want to design, for example, an (ArF)* excimer laser at 193 nm, you probably must have both the excited complex transition at 193 nm AND the longitudinal resonance at the same wavelength (possibly a narrowband of resonant frequencies that you can filter out later), right? Thanks.

The actual frequencies you will get out of the laser will be the axial modes (also called longitudinal modes) that overlap with the gain spectrum of the laser transition.

As far as designing a laser with a specific wavelength is concerned, the simplest solution would be to add greater wavelength selectivity by adding a second resonance condition. A Fabry-Perot Etalon such as a microscope slide is perfect for this. You can then tune the laser simply by tilting the etalon.

Claude.

Related to Atomic transition and cavity axial-mode frequencies

1. What is an atomic transition?

An atomic transition is the process by which an electron in an atom moves from one energy level to another, either by absorbing or emitting a photon of specific energy.

2. How does atomic transition affect cavity axial-mode frequencies?

Atomic transitions can cause changes in the energy levels of the atoms within a cavity, which in turn can affect the resonant frequencies of the cavity. This is because the cavity's resonant frequencies are determined by the energy levels of the atoms within it.

3. What factors determine the frequency of an atomic transition?

The frequency of an atomic transition is determined by the energy difference between the two levels involved and the physical properties of the atom, such as its mass and charge.

4. How do researchers measure atomic transition and cavity axial-mode frequencies?

Researchers can measure these frequencies using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by the atoms, or by using specialized equipment such as a cavity ring-down spectrometer.

5. What are the practical applications of studying atomic transition and cavity axial-mode frequencies?

Understanding atomic transitions and cavity axial-mode frequencies is essential in fields such as quantum optics, laser physics, and atomic and molecular physics. This knowledge can also be applied in the development of technologies such as lasers, atomic clocks, and quantum computing devices.