Atomic Sizes Chart: All Elements in Periodic Table

• Thread starter PH7SICS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses various representations of atomic sizes and their accuracy in displaying the sizes of atoms. It is noted that the sizes are derived from bond lengths and therefore do not represent the physical size of the atoms. The question of why there are no representations of noble gases is raised, and it is explained that their inertness makes it difficult to determine a covalent radius. The conversation also delves into the relationship between atomic radius and the effective nuclear charge, and the accuracy of different methods in determining atomic sizes is questioned.
PH7SICS
The following link shows how to calculate the size of an atom, where can I find a chart where this has been done for all the elements in the periodic table? I know you can get charts of atomic radius but those are based on the distance between the nucleus of two bonded atoms and therefore the radius is slightly less then the actual radius. Basically I,m looking for a chart which most accurately displays the sizes of atoms.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/atomsiz.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Why are there no representations of the noble gases?
The atomic sizes are derived from various bond lengths. The noble gases do not form bonds with other elements or among themselves (at least not very well) because of their inertness, making it very difficult to determine a covalent radius.

Gokul43201 said:
The atomic sizes are derived from various bond lengths.

Is a H2 molecule really that much smaller than, well, every other atom and diatom?

Gokul43201 said:
The atomic sizes are derived from various bond lengths.
Ah. That's what I suspected.

So, these aren't really reps of the diameter of the outermost shell i.e. the "physical" size, they're reps of the operating diameter of the atom?

cesiumfrog said:
Is a H2 molecule really that much smaller than, well, every other atom and diatom?
Actually, the He-atom is smaller than the H-atom, as should be expected. Also, since atomic radii can be very crudely expected to go like some rapidly increasing function of the principal quantum number of the valence shell (the significant variation along a period is evidence for the crudeness), the relative sizes down a group show the largest variation at the top of the group. For simplicity, if the radius went like n2, then we'd expect R(H)/R(Li) ~ 1/4 (measured value 0.26) , while R(Na)/R(K) ~ 9/16 (measured value 0.8) and R(Rb)/R(Cs) ~ 25/36 (measured value 0.9).

tabchouri said:
It's interesting, the radius of atoms dicreases with the electronic orbit beeing filled, contrary to intuition.
That depends on how well-developed your intuition is.

And it's pretty homogeneous overs all orbits.
Anyone could explain why ?
Going right along a period involves a small increase in the atomic number. Increasing the number of valence electrons might be expected to increase the atomic radius, but increasing the number of protons at the same rate should then be expected to cause a decrease in radius. So, to a first order in intuition, there should be no change in radius along a period.

A better intuition to use is that of the effective (screened) nuclear charge. Hopping by one atom to the right increases the number of protons and electrons by 1. The additional electron can not completely screen the charge of the additional proton, resulting in a net increase in the nuclear attraction to the outer electrons.

The data given my web elements varies considerably depending on how the atomic radius was derived. I don't know if any of those values given were obtained using the calculation in the link I provided. I notice that all the values have been rounded up so I'm guessing its not the most accurate chart. In any case dose anyone know which value is most accurate ie which method?

Gokul43201 said:
Actually, the He-atom is smaller than the H-atom, as should be expected. Also, since atomic radii can be very crudely expected to go like some rapidly increasing function of the principal quantum number of the valence shell (the significant variation along a period is evidence for the crudeness), the relative sizes down a group show the largest variation at the top of the group. For simplicity, if the radius went like n2, then we'd expect R(H)/R(Li) ~ 1/4 (measured value 0.26) , while R(Na)/R(K) ~ 9/16 (measured value 0.8) and R(Rb)/R(Cs) ~ 25/36 (measured value 0.9).

Does that really explain why the chart you mentioned depicts H as only a point, compared to the other atoms depictions? I wondered if they were trying to represent the size of a hydrogen ion.

cesiumfrog said:
Does that really explain why the chart you mentioned depicts H as only a point, compared to the other atoms depictions? I wondered if they were trying to represent the size of a hydrogen ion.
I suspect that's either an artifact of the picture resolution or an error of carelessness. The H-atom ought to be only a little smaller than the F-atom (last ball in the second period). There would be no sense in representing the size of the H+ ion (a proton) in that chart.

Related to Atomic Sizes Chart: All Elements in Periodic Table

1. What is the Atomic Size Chart?

The Atomic Size Chart is a visual representation of the atomic sizes of all the elements in the periodic table. It shows the relative sizes of atoms based on their atomic radius, which is the distance from the nucleus to the outermost electron.

2. How is the Atomic Size Chart organized?

The Atomic Size Chart is organized by atomic number, which is the number of protons in an atom's nucleus. The elements are arranged in rows and columns, with elements in the same column having similar atomic sizes.

3. Why do some elements have larger atomic sizes than others?

The atomic size of an element is influenced by several factors, including the number of protons and electrons, the energy levels of the electrons, and the presence of electron shells. Elements with more protons and electrons tend to have larger atomic sizes.

4. Can the atomic size of an element change?

Yes, the atomic size of an element can change depending on its chemical bonds and the environment it is in. Atoms can also change size when they gain or lose electrons, as this affects the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron.

5. How is the Atomic Size Chart useful in understanding the properties of elements?

The Atomic Size Chart is useful in understanding the properties of elements because the size of an atom can affect its reactivity, electronegativity, and ionization energy. Elements with larger atomic sizes tend to have lower reactivity and higher ionization energy, while elements with smaller atomic sizes tend to have higher reactivity and lower ionization energy.