Atomic radius by dimensional analysis

In summary, the Thomas-Fermi theory provides a formula for atomic radius, R=Z^(-1/3)*(hbar ^2)/m*e^2, with a Z^(-1/3) dependence. The total energy has a Z^(7/3) dependence. The mystery of the Z^(-1/3) term can be solved by attaching a Z term to h and e, and a Z^(1/3) term to m. This makes sense since Z represents the nuclear charge and number of electrons in dimensional analysis.
areyouserious
Hi,
So according to the Thomas-Fermi theory, the formula for atomic radius is
R=Z^(-1/3)*(hbar ^2)/m*e^2. (in other words Z^(-1/3) times the Bohr radius)

While the total energy has a Z^(7/3) dependence.

I need to get this from dimensional analysis. I can get the dependence on h, m, and e easily, but the Z^(-1/3) is a mystery to me. I understand that the Z, being unitless, must be tacked on to another unit, and working backwards, I can see that it works out if I attach a Z term to h and to e, and attaching a Z^(1/3) term to m. But how can I justify this? Why only 1/3 power for m, but first power for e and h? Please help, I am completely stuck.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, Z means what? It's the nuclear charge, as well as the number of electrons. So where might you see Z's? The combination Ze makes sense in a way Zh does not, no? You can also see Z's appear if you are counting something - like electrons.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Related to Atomic radius by dimensional analysis

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves identifying the dimensions of a physical quantity and using conversion factors to express it in different units.

2. How is atomic radius calculated using dimensional analysis?

Atomic radius is calculated by using the conversion factor between picometers (pm) and angstroms (Å). The atomic radius is equal to the distance from the center of an atom's nucleus to the outermost electron orbital, and it is typically measured in picometers or angstroms.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used to compare atomic radii of different elements?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to compare atomic radii of different elements by converting their values to the same units. This allows for a more accurate comparison and understanding of the relative sizes of different atoms.

4. How does the number of protons affect an atom's atomic radius?

The number of protons in an atom's nucleus does not directly affect its atomic radius. However, as the number of protons increases, the number of electrons also increases, leading to a larger atomic size due to the increased electron-electron repulsion.

5. Why is it important to use dimensional analysis when studying atomic radius?

Dimensional analysis is important in studying atomic radius because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements and comparisons of atomic sizes. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different units of measurement and their conversions, leading to a better understanding of the physical properties of atoms.