Atom Emitting Photon: Energy Conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is permissible to write energy conservation for an atom emitting a photon as E1 = E2 + Eγ, taking into account the momentum conservation. It is also suggested to omit the use of E0 and p1 in the equation.
71GA
I have come across a problem which is a homework indeed, but i tried to pack this question up so that it is more theoretical.

What i want to know is if i am alowed to write energy conservation for an atom which emitts a photon (when his electron changes energy for a value ##\Delta E##) like this (The atom is kicked back when it emmits an photon):

\begin{align}
E_1 &= E_2\\
E_{ \text{H atom 1}} &= E_{ \text{H atom 2} } + E_\gamma\\
\sqrt{ \!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\smash{\underbrace{(E_0 + \Delta E)^2}_{\substack{\text{I am not sure about}\\\text{this part where normaly}\\\text{we write only ${E_0}^2$. Should I}\\\text{put $\Delta E$ somewhere else?}}}}\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\! + {p_1}^2c^2} &= \sqrt{ {E_0}^2 + {p_2}^2c^2 } + E_\gamma \longleftarrow \substack{\text{momentum $p_1=0$ and because of}\\\text{the momentum conservation}\\\text{$p_2 = p_\gamma = E_\gamma/c$}}\\
\phantom{1}\\
\phantom{1}\\
\phantom{1}\\
\sqrt{{(E_0 + \Delta E)}^2} &= \sqrt{{E_0}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2} + E_\gamma
\end{align}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##p_2 c = E_\gamma## requires that the initial atom is at rest in your coordinate system, so you can keep E_1 at the left side (and I think I would not use E_0 at all, as it can be confusing), you don't need that p1 at all.
That is possible, indeed.

Related to Atom Emitting Photon: Energy Conservation

1. What is an atom emitting photon?

An atom emitting photon is the process in which an atom releases a packet of electromagnetic energy, known as a photon, from one of its energy levels. This usually occurs when an electron transitions to a lower energy level within the atom.

2. How does an atom emit a photon?

An atom can emit a photon through a process called spontaneous emission, where an excited electron in an atom spontaneously transitions to a lower energy state, releasing a photon. Another way is through stimulated emission, where an incoming photon triggers an already excited atom to release a second identical photon.

3. What is energy conservation in relation to atom emitting photon?

Energy conservation in relation to atom emitting photon refers to the fact that the total energy of the system (atom and emitted photon) must remain constant. This means that the energy of the emitted photon is equal to the difference in energy between the initial and final state of the atom.

4. How is energy conserved in the process of atom emitting photon?

Energy conservation is ensured in the process of atom emitting photon through the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In this case, the energy of the atom is transformed into the energy of the emitted photon.

5. What factors affect the energy of a photon emitted by an atom?

The energy of a photon emitted by an atom is primarily determined by the energy levels of the atom and the transition that occurs. Other factors that may affect the energy of the emitted photon include the atomic structure, the environment of the atom, and any interactions with neighboring atoms or particles.