ATH 101: Integration by Parts - Exponential Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a definite integral using integration by parts and the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus. The solution is found to be lambda after correcting a mistake in applying the chain rule. There is also a suggestion to use u-substitution in the last integral. The correctness of the answer is questioned and further discussion ensues.
michonamona
Integration by parts - Exponential distribution

Homework Statement

Solve the following definite integral:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\lambda} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

I'm asked to solve this integral. The solution is [tex]\lambda[/tex], although I'm not sure how this was done.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\lambda} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{\lambda} \int^{\infty}_{0} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\lambda} \left( \left[ x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} \right] ^{\infty}_{0} - \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx \right) [/tex], integration by parts.

The [tex] \left[ x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} \right] ^{\infty}_{0} [/tex] term, by fundamental theorem of calculus is 0. Thus,

[tex]= - \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx \right) [/tex],

I don't know what to do at this point, because as far as I know, taking the definite integral of this term will result in [tex]e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}}[/tex] , which, solving for 0 and infinity will yield -1.

Where have I gone wrong?

I appreciate your input.

M

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Close. You forgot the chain rule. The derivative of e^-u is -e^-u. (or antiderivative.)

Thanks whitish,

I was in the middle of editing the formula after your post. Do you mind looking at what I have posted again?

Thanks

nevermind. I see what's happening now, and I'm getting the same answer as you are. with your last integral you can just use U substitution. are you sure just lambda is the right answer?

Last edited:

Related to ATH 101: Integration by Parts - Exponential Distribution

What is "ATH 101: Integration by Parts - Exponential Distribution"?

"ATH 101: Integration by Parts - Exponential Distribution" is a course in mathematics that focuses on the integration technique known as integration by parts, specifically applied to the exponential distribution. This distribution is commonly used to model the time between events in a Poisson process.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It involves rewriting the integral in a way that allows for easier integration using a specific formula.

How is integration by parts applied to the exponential distribution?

In the context of the exponential distribution, integration by parts is used to find the probability density function and cumulative distribution function. This allows for the calculation of probabilities related to the exponential distribution, such as the probability of an event occurring within a certain time interval.

What are some real-world applications of the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is commonly used to model the time between events in processes such as radioactive decay, arrival of customers at a service counter, and the time between failures of a machine. It is also used in reliability and survival analysis, as well as in queuing theory.

What are some tips for solving integration by parts problems?

Some tips for solving integration by parts problems include choosing the correct u and dv terms, choosing a u that will eventually lead to a simpler integral, and using the integration by parts formula multiple times if necessary. It is also important to carefully apply the product rule and chain rule when differentiating the u and v terms.