At what points on this curve is the tangent line horizontal?

In summary, the problem asked for the points on the curve y = (x^2)/(2x+5) where the tangent line is horizontal. The Quotient rule was used to find the derivative, and it was determined that for the tangent line to be horizontal, the slope must be 0. Substituting x = -5 into the derivative results in a y value at one of the points. The other critical number can be found by solving 2x^2 + 10x = 0. Using a graphing tool, the tangent line at x = -5 was shown to be horizontal.
physphys

Homework Statement

At what points on the curve y = (x^2)/(2x+5) is the tangent line horizontal?

Homework Equations

Quotient rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the derivative which is
2x(2x+5) - 2x^2
-----------------
(2x+5)^2

I also know that for the equation of the tangent to be horizontal, it needs to have a slope of 0, so y' = 0

Therefore I tried to do 2x(2x+5) - 2x^2 = 0, and I got 2x^2 + 10x = 0 which means that x must be -5. However when I put it into the calculator, it doesn't agree with me, so I went wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "put it into the calculator". However, "2x^2+ 10x= 0" does NOT mean "that x must be -5". How did you get that?

I got a ti84, and i can draw a tangent line and it'll tell me the formula, so when I drew a tangent line through -5, the line was not horizontal completely. If you plug in -5 into 2x^2 + 10x= 0, it works out, but when you plug it back into the first one you don't get 0.

There are two critical numbers; x = -5 is one of them.

If you substitute x = -5 into y = x2/(2x + 5), you'll get the y value at one of the points where the tangent is horizontal.

Mark44 said:
There are two critical numbers; x = -5 is one of them.

If you substitute x = -5 into y = x2/(2x + 5), you'll get the y value at one of the points where the tangent is horizontal.

But the calculator disagrees with the fact that x = -5 is one of them, and also how can I find the other point?

I have no idea what you're entering into the calculator, so I can't say that its objections are valid.

To find the other critical number, find both solutions of 2x2 + 10x = 0.

I hope you aren't doing this:

2x2 = - 10x

and then dividing both sides by 2x.

Related to At what points on this curve is the tangent line horizontal?

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point. It represents the slope of the curve at that specific point.

2. Why is it important to know where the tangent line is horizontal?

Knowing where the tangent line is horizontal can help us find the maximum and minimum points on a curve, which is important in solving optimization problems in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you determine where the tangent line is horizontal on a curve?

To determine where the tangent line is horizontal, we need to find the points where the derivative of the curve is equal to 0. In other words, we need to find the points where the slope of the curve is 0.

4. Can there be more than one point where the tangent line is horizontal on a curve?

Yes, there can be more than one point where the tangent line is horizontal on a curve. This occurs when the curve has multiple peaks or valleys.

5. How does the shape of the curve affect the points where the tangent line is horizontal?

The shape of the curve directly affects the points where the tangent line is horizontal. For example, a concave upward curve will have a horizontal tangent line at its minimum point, while a concave downward curve will have a horizontal tangent line at its maximum point.