At what height should a gun be fired for bullet to have escape velocity

In summary, the discussion revolves around calculating the height at which a bullet must be fired in order to achieve escape velocity from the Earth. The equation used is Ve = sqrt(2GM/r), where Ve is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the Earth's mass, and r is the distance from the Earth's center. The result is approximately 5.5 million miles, which is about 20 times further than the moon's distance from the Earth. The discussion also touches on the concept of rotating frames and the possible existence of a graviton with a mass of 1.3x10^-69 kg.
softport
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is correct. Why are you surprised? Escape velocity at the surface of the Earth is about 11,000 m/sec, so for a bullet traveling only 300 m/sec to have escape velocity you need to go far enough away that the Earth's gravitational pull has fallen off by a lot.

Thanks phyzguy, my thoughts were that it's not far from Earth that you have things floating around in space (albeit with outward force from orbiting). I guess given that gravity extends to infinity, the surprising thing should be that there is an escape velocity at all.

Naive question: if gravity is quantized what is the distance at which it would fall below the minimum, and cease to have any effect? Is there a quantum of potential energy?

I tried to answer my question above, and found this paper that mentions a possible graviton mass of 1.3x10-69 kg .

Now, how far would a single hydrogen atom have to be, from earth, till it's potential energy due to Earth's gravity is below the energy of one graviton (E = mc2)? What came out was Avogadros number of light years, isn't that wierd?

E(graviton) = mc2 = (1.3x10-69 kg) (3.0x108 m/s2)2 = 1.2x10-52 J

Mass of hydrogen atom: m = 1.7x10-27 kg ->[(1 gr/mole)( mole/6x1023 atoms)( kg/1000 gr)]
Earth mass: M = 6.0x1024 kg
Gravitation constant: 6.7x10-11 N(m/kg)2
Light year: 9.5x1015 m

Potential energy of gravity: E(gravity) = (m M G)/r

Equating energies and solving for r:

r = (m M G)/ E(graviton) = (1.7x10-27 kg)(6.0x1024kg)(6.7x10-11 N m2/kg2) / (1.2x10-52 J)
= 5.7x1039m
r = 6.0x1023 light years

Last edited:
softport said:
I thought the height would turn out close to where satellites orbit

Satellites have to travel pretty fast to stay up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit

A geostationary orbit can only be achieved at an altitude very close to 35,786 km (22,236 mi), and directly above the Equator. This equates to an orbital velocity of 3.07 km/s

softport said:
Hello, can you can tell me if this is correct? I thought the height would turn out
close to where satellites orbit, but it comes out to about 5.5 million miles away!
I was very surprised by this, that's about 20 times further than the moon.

Here's what I used
Escape velocity: Ve = sqrt(2GM/r)
Earth mass: 5.97x10^24 kg
Gravitation constant: 6.67x10^-11 N(m/kg)^2
(Ve=) Handgun bullet speed: 300 m/s

There is a niggling problem of interpretation. Are you supposed to fire the bullet from a platform that is at rest in an Earth-centered inertial frame or from a platform that is at rest in an Earth-centered rotating frame?

The distinction is rather significant at these kinds of altitudes.

Thanks for all your answers.
I did not think about rotating frames, only the effects between 2 masses in the same inertial frame. To frame the problem in a more realistic way, I would have to go back and watch this great series of dynamics lectures by prof Sarma at MIT. I have watched these at least three times over the last couple of years but every time, after only a few weeks, the understanding fades away again.

Anyways, I know that a post just to thank members for their replies, should be short,
so apologies for that.

PS "www.physics.louisville.edu/wkomp/teaching/spring2006/589/final/schumann.pdf"
Not sure what to think of this, as it suggests a possible speed way less than light. Maybe I'm
misreading it. I also realized that just searching for 'graviton' in these forums would probably have yielded way more information!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your answers.
I did not think about rotating frames, only the effects between 2 masses in the same inertial frame. To frame the problem in a more realistic way, I would have to go back and watch this
great series of lectures by prof Sarma at MIT. I have watched these at least three times over the last couple of years but every time, after only a few weeks, the understanding fades away again.

Anyways, I know that a post just to thank members for their replies, should be short,
so apologies for that.

PS "www.physics.louisville.edu/wkomp/teaching/spring2006/589/final/schumann.pdf"
Not sure what to think of this, as it suggests a possible speed way less than light. Maybe I'm
misreading it. I also realized that just searching for 'graviton' in these forums would probably have yielded way more information!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Boldface added by me for emphasis.)
softport said:
Hello, can you can tell me if this is correct? I thought the height would turn out
close to where satellites orbit, but it comes out to about 5.5 million miles away!
I was very surprised by this, that's about 20 times further than the moon.

Here's what I used
Escape velocity: Ve = sqrt(2GM/r)
Earth mass: 5.97x10^24 kg
Gravitation constant: 6.67x10^-11 N(m/kg)^2
(Ve=) Handgun bullet speed: 300 m/s

regards,

Walter
Have you tried calculating the speed of the moon for comparison? It's about 1000 m/s, about 3 times faster than the bullet. But that is the moon's actual speed, its escape speed would be faster yet.

Considering that, it's not surprising that the slower bullet must be farther away than the moon to be at escape speed.

Related to At what height should a gun be fired for bullet to have escape velocity

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as the Earth, and escape its orbit.

2. How is escape velocity related to firing a gun?

When a gun is fired, the bullet is propelled at a certain velocity. If the bullet reaches or exceeds the escape velocity, it will have enough speed to escape the Earth's gravitational pull and continue traveling in a straight line.

3. What factors affect the escape velocity of a bullet?

The escape velocity of a bullet depends on the mass and size of the bullet, as well as the gravitational pull of the Earth. Additionally, air resistance and the angle at which the gun is fired can also affect the escape velocity.

4. Why is it important to consider the escape velocity when firing a gun?

Knowing the escape velocity is important for calculating the range and trajectory of a bullet. It also helps to ensure the safety of the shooter and those in the surrounding area, as firing a bullet at a high enough velocity can cause it to travel a much greater distance.

5. At what height should a gun be fired for the bullet to reach escape velocity?

The height at which a gun should be fired for the bullet to reach escape velocity depends on various factors, such as the initial velocity of the bullet and the angle at which it is fired. However, in general, firing a gun at an angle of 45 degrees or higher will increase the chances of the bullet reaching escape velocity.