Asymmetric transmission of Infrared

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The structure can work with lasers and other focussed light sources, but not with thermal radiation.
trendal
Is it possible to have a material that transmits infrared in one direction but not in the other? There are a few articles available that say it is, though I don't have any here with me now.

So, let's say you make a hollow sphere of this material, oriented so that infrared light can pass out of the container but not into it. Would that make anything inside of the sphere very cold?

Edit: removed misleading reference to a "one-way mirror"

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Asymmetric light propagation based on semi-circular photonic crystals
Wang Lin-Hui et al 2014 Chinese Phys. B 23 034215 doi:10.1088/1674-1056/23/3/034215

A new structure based on a semi-circular photonic crystal is proposed to achieve asymmetric light propagation. The semi-circular photonic crystal structure proposed in this paper is a deformation of a two-dimensional conventional square photonic crystal. Through the directional bandgap of the semi-circular photonic crystal, the light from one direction can transfer to the other side, but the light from the opposite direction cannot. A high contrast ratio is obtained by designing the constitutive parameters of the photonic crystal and choosing the suitable light frequency. This structure promises a significant potential in optical integration and other areas.

I can think of several uses in power generation...say a thermoelectric generator with its cold side connected via heat pipe to the inside of the sphere such that the cold side is always kept much lower than ambient temperature. Would this create a sort of perpetual generator? Something tells me no, and I fear I am missing something key here :-(

Perfect one-way mirrors do not exist. Normal one-way mirrors are not actually "one-way", they simply reflect about half of the incident light from either side. To work, you need a darkened room on one side and a well lit room on the other.

If such perfect one-way mirrors existed, you could create a source of infinite energy, which is not possible.

I wasn't asking about normal one-way mirrors...please read the article in my second post...

One-way mirrors and one-way transmission (they are the same idea) do not exist. They would violate the second law of thermodynamics.
I don't have access to that paper, but I would guess they suggest some active stuff - external energy input to circumvent that. Also note it is a suggestion instead of an experiment and appeared just in some national journal (maybe for a good reason?).

Asymmetric light propagation in chirped photonic crystal waveguides
H. Kurt, D. Yilmaz, A. E. Akosman, and E. Ozbay »View Author Affiliations
Optics Express, Vol. 20, Issue 18, pp. 20635-20646 (2012)

We report numerical and experimental investigations of asymmetric light propagation in a newly designed photonic structure that is formed by creating a chirped photonic crystal (PC) waveguide. The use of a non-symmetric distribution of unit cells of PC ensures the obtaining of asymmetric light propagation. Properly designing the spatial modulation of a PC waveguide inherently modifies the band structure. That in turn induces asymmetry for the light’s followed path. The investigation of the transmission characteristics of this structure reveals optical diode like transmission behavior. The amount of power collected at the output of the waveguide centerline is different for the forward and backward propagation directions in the designed configuration. The advantageous properties of the proposed approach are the linear optic concept, compact configuration and compatibility with the integrated photonics. These features are expected to hold great potential for implementing practical optical rectifier-type devices.

Last edited:
Yes you posted the abstract before, but it does not say how they want to achieve that and that link works for uwo members only.

That was a second article...sorry for the uwo only link, it has been removed!

Here's a link to a NIST news article: http://www.nist.gov/cnst/light-070114.cfm

"Testing their structures, the researchers found that around 30 times more light passed through in the forward direction than in reverse, a contrast larger than any other achieved thus far with visible light."

This is apparently without any form of energy input, aside from the light itself.

Ah, the angles are the trick:
Light can, however, propagate inside the material within a narrow range of angles.
It works well with lasers or other focussed light sources, but not with thermal radiation.

The way I'm reading it is that if the incident light hit at a non-normal angle then it can propagate backwards through the material. Is that correct?

Related to Asymmetric transmission of Infrared

1. What is asymmetric transmission of infrared?

Asymmetric transmission of infrared refers to the phenomenon where the transmission of infrared radiation through a material is different in opposite directions. This means that the material allows more infrared radiation to pass through in one direction than the other.

2. How does asymmetric transmission of infrared occur?

Asymmetric transmission of infrared can occur due to the properties of the material being used. This could include the material's chemical composition, structure, or surface properties. It can also be influenced by the angle of incidence and polarization of the infrared radiation.

3. What are some applications of asymmetric transmission of infrared?

Asymmetric transmission of infrared has various applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and sensing. It can be used to create optical diodes for one-way transmission of light, improve the efficiency of solar cells, and enhance the sensitivity of infrared detectors.

4. Are there any naturally occurring examples of asymmetric transmission of infrared?

Yes, there are naturally occurring examples of asymmetric transmission of infrared. One example is the infrared radiation emitted by the Earth's atmosphere. The atmosphere allows more infrared radiation from the sun to pass through than the radiation emitted by the Earth's surface, resulting in the Earth's overall temperature increase.

5. How is asymmetric transmission of infrared studied?

Asymmetric transmission of infrared is studied through various experimental techniques such as spectroscopy, ellipsometry, and polarimetry. These techniques allow researchers to measure the transmission of infrared radiation in different directions and analyze the properties of materials that exhibit asymmetric transmission.