Astrospies: US Astronauts in Cold War Intelligence

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Well, I wasn't completely serious, but I wasn't referring to illegally releasing classified information.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An elite corps of secret US astronauts is trained to gather intelligence on the Soviets during the cold war.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/astrospies/

Watch online:
http://video.pbs.org/video/980042464/program/979359664

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, I'll have to check this out later.

WOWwww, that was really amazing! Especially considering the youtube video I posted.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought it was very interesting - a rare look into a very secret program. Did you catch the statement that parts of that program are still classified! Of course that may be simply because no one has filed a FOIA request for declassification. I heard that there are something like 1 billion documents from the cold war awaiting declassification.

On the other hand, given that Nova did a documentary on it, one would think that they filed a FOIA request.

I liked the news headline that the one astronaut said that they joked about: A secret rocket was launched from an unknown location for an undisclosed mission with a crew of unnamed astronauts...

Ivan Seeking said:
On the other hand, given that Nova did a documentary on it, one would think that they filed a FOIA request.

That, or they are good friends with the government's PR and get free scraps if they don't dig up old bones.

Pythagorean said:
That, or they are good friends with the government's PR and get free scraps if they don't dig up old bones.

The declassification process is pretty standard. Illegally releasing classified information is a serious offense.

Much of the good UFO stuff comes from declassified files obtained through a FOIA request.

Ivan Seeking said:
Watch online: [PLAIN]http://vide...em is not currently available"[/I] :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Equate said:
"The selected item is not currently available"

:frown:

Only one person may watch it at a time. Please wait your turn... :-p

Equate said:
"The selected item is not currently available"

:frown:

It is working okay for me at the moment. If you continue to have problems, go to the main link
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/astrospies/

go to watch video, programs, Nova, Astrospies [on page 2].

That worked, thanks.

Very interesting information in that piece...

Ivan Seeking said:
The declassification process is pretty standard. Illegally releasing classified information is a serious offense.

Much of the good UFO stuff comes from declassified files obtained through a FOIA request.

Well, I wasn't completely serious, but I wasn't referring to illegally releasing classified information. Just about filing more FOIA's then certain peoples would appreciate.

Related to Astrospies: US Astronauts in Cold War Intelligence

1. What is the history of Astrospies?

Astrospies were a group of US astronauts who were secretly trained by the US intelligence agency, CIA, during the Cold War. Their mission was to gather intelligence on the Soviet Union and other countries of interest from space.

2. How were the Astrospies selected?

The Astrospies were selected from a pool of existing US astronauts who had already undergone rigorous physical, psychological, and technical training for NASA's space program. The CIA then screened and selected individuals who were deemed suitable for intelligence operations.

3. What types of missions did the Astrospies undertake?

The Astrospies undertook several types of missions, including reconnaissance and surveillance of Soviet military installations and missile sites, monitoring of nuclear tests, and gathering intelligence on other countries of interest. They also tested advanced spy technologies from space, such as high-resolution cameras and communication systems.

4. How successful were the Astrospies in their missions?

The success of the Astrospies' missions is still classified, but it is believed that they provided valuable intelligence to the US government during the Cold War. The use of advanced technologies and the ability to gather information from a vantage point in space gave the US a significant advantage over the Soviet Union.

5. Did the Astrospies face any risks during their missions?

Yes, the Astrospies faced many risks during their missions. They had to undergo intense training and operate in extreme conditions in space. They also faced the risk of being detected by the Soviet Union, which could have resulted in imprisonment or even death. Additionally, the missions involved complex maneuvers and precise timing, which posed a risk to the astronauts' safety.