Astrophysics - star color index

In summary, the question asks what color a star would appear to be at the Earth's surface if it emits the same intensity of radiation at all visible wavelengths. Based on the visible spectrum and the sensitivity of human eyes, the only possible colors are white or black. However, since the atmosphere can scatter light, the star's color may appear to be more of a longer wavelength radiation when observed directly.
hfenton

Homework Statement

If a star emits the same intensity of radiation at all visible wavelengths, what will be its
apparent color at the Earth’s surface?

Homework Equations

No equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that a horizontal line would occur through the visible spectrum if a curve was plotted on an intensity/wavelength diagram, however, considering there is no true peak in the visible colors, I have no idea what color is likely to be seen. I have thought that it might be white or black, but am not really confident with those answers. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because human eyes are sensitive only to the visible spectrum, so narrow it down :wink:
As you deduce, there are only 2 possible cases: white or black. When is a thing black to our eyes?

we see black when light is not present. therefore, would this star have to be pure white? Then, because I am seeing it from Earth's surface, should I take into account the effects our atmosphere has on light, such as scattering? I think I am making this problem more difficult than it is.

I also think you're making it more complicated than expected, but making problems complicated is crucial for reasoning :biggrin: Fortunately you're right in this case I think.
Have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_sky_radiation. I suppose that we don't have to gaze at the Sun :biggrin: so the intensity of light from the star here is small (we know that stars except the Sun are not so bright when observing from the Earth), i.e. we have to look directly to it. Since the shorter wavelength radiation is easier to be scattered by the atmosphere, what we receive if looking directly to the star is more of longer wavelength radiation.
Anyway I'm no expert, so don't rely on my thought :biggrin: Justify it yourself :wink:

I would first clarify the question by asking for more information. Is the star emitting the same intensity of radiation at all visible wavelengths as compared to other stars, or is it emitting the same intensity at all visible wavelengths as compared to itself? This distinction could potentially affect the answer.

Assuming the star is emitting the same intensity at all visible wavelengths as compared to itself, it is likely that the star would appear white to the human eye. This is because white light is a combination of all visible wavelengths and if the star is emitting the same intensity at all of these wavelengths, it would appear white to our eyes. However, this is also dependent on the sensitivity of our eyes to different wavelengths, as well as the brightness of the star.

If the star is emitting the same intensity at all visible wavelengths as compared to other stars, then its apparent color would depend on the relative intensities of the other stars. For example, if the other stars are emitting more intensity at certain wavelengths, then the star in question may appear bluer or redder in comparison.

In astrophysics, we often use a star's color index to describe its color. This is calculated by comparing its brightness in two different wavelengths, usually blue and red. A positive color index indicates a redder star, while a negative color index indicates a bluer star. A color index of zero would indicate a white star.

Overall, the apparent color of the star would depend on various factors and cannot be determined without more information. As scientists, we must always consider all variables and gather more data before making conclusions.

Related to Astrophysics - star color index

1. What is the star color index?

The star color index is a measure of a star's color, which is determined by the difference in brightness between two different wavelengths of light. It is used to classify stars based on their temperature and surface composition.

2. How is the star color index calculated?

The star color index is calculated by comparing the star's brightness in two different wavelengths of light, typically blue and red. The difference in magnitude between the two wavelengths is then used to determine the star's color index.

3. What does the star color index tell us about a star?

The star color index can tell us about a star's temperature, as well as its surface composition. A lower color index indicates a hotter, bluer star, while a higher color index indicates a cooler, redder star.

4. How does the star color index help us understand stars?

The star color index is an important tool for understanding stars because it allows us to classify and categorize them based on their physical properties. This helps us to better understand the life cycles of stars and their role in the universe.

5. How is the star color index used in astrophysics research?

The star color index is used in astrophysics research to study the evolution and characteristics of stars. It is also used to identify and study different types of stars, such as main sequence stars, red giants, and white dwarfs.