Astronomy vs Aerospace: Career Choice Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between pursuing a career as an aerospace engineer or an astronomer for someone who has a passion for space. The potential impact of each career is discussed, with the suggestion that becoming an aerospace engineer may have a more direct impact on space travel. The likelihood of becoming an astronaut is also mentioned.
Starcrossed97
Hi I was wondering which would be a better career choice. I have been in love with space my entire life and I never want to give that passion up. I am about to start applying to college and I don't know if I want to be an aerospace engineer or an astronomer. My hope is that if I become an Aerospace engineer I can go on to become an Astronaut seeing that the next space race is about to start up. But I am still enchanted, mesmerized, and awe struck by the cosmos. which should I choose??

Physics news on Phys.org
As an astronomer, you would study space. As an Aerospace Engineer, you would build and design things that go into space.

Chances are, if you are an astronomer, the stuff you would study that is not already known is stuff that is very far away and currently irrelevant to, say, astronauts who've never even exited the solar system. I may be wrong about that in some way but what I mean to say is that as an aerospace engineer, you could potentially have a more direct impact on space travel.

And frankly, I don't see another space race coming up except for the private space race among companies rather than governments. And with regards to becoming an astronaut, well, hate to rain on your parade but that is probably a bit unlikely. If I were in your situation, I'd aim to make an impact in space travel as a Aerospace Engineer who might perhaps design some great new technology that will improve and expand space travel.

Related to Astronomy vs Aerospace: Career Choice Help

1. What is the difference between astronomy and aerospace?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects such as stars, planets, and galaxies, while aerospace is the field of engineering and science that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. Astronomy is a branch of physics, while aerospace is a branch of engineering.

2. What are the career options in astronomy and aerospace?

Career options in astronomy include research and teaching positions at universities, observatories, and government agencies. In aerospace, career options include roles in aircraft and spacecraft design, manufacturing, and operations, as well as research and development positions at government agencies and private companies.

3. Which field requires more education and training?

Astronomy typically requires a Ph.D. in astronomy or physics, while aerospace may require a bachelor's or master's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. Additional training and certifications may also be necessary for certain positions in both fields.

4. How do job opportunities and salaries compare between astronomy and aerospace?

Job opportunities in both astronomy and aerospace are highly competitive, but the demand for aerospace engineers is expected to grow faster due to the expansion of the space industry. Salaries may vary depending on the specific job and location, but aerospace engineers typically earn higher salaries compared to astronomers.

5. Can I switch between careers in astronomy and aerospace?

While there may be some overlap in skills and knowledge, switching between careers in astronomy and aerospace may require additional education and training. However, both fields offer diverse opportunities for growth and development, so it may be possible to transition between the two with the right qualifications and experience.