[ASK] Debit: Determining Flow Rates In/Out Of Container

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow rates of three water channels in a tub. Channel I and II can fill the tub in 1 hour and 12 minutes, while channel III can empty it in 8 minutes. Together, the three channels can fulfill the tub in 1 hour and 20 minutes. From this information, the flow rates of each individual channel can be deduced.
Monoxdifly
MHB
A water tub has 3 water channels. Channel I and II for filling the tub and channel III to empty it. Those 3 channels together fulfill the tub for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Channel I and II together fulfill the tub for 1 hour and 12 minutes from the empty condition. Channel II and III together fulfill the tub for 4 hours from the empty condition. The duration of each channel I and channel II fulfill the tub and channel III empties the tub are...

Well, I don't know where to start. But if channel I and II together (without channel III being open) fulfill the tub in 1 hour and 12 minutes, does it mean that channel III can empty the tub just within 8 minutes (because 01.20 - 01.12)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: [ASK] Debit

This question was cross-posted on another site, where I responded:

I would begin by defining $C_1,\,C_2,\,C_3$ as the flow rates of the 3 channels, in tubs per minute.

From the given information, we know:

\(\displaystyle C_1+C_2-C_3=\frac{1}{80}\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle C_1+C_2=\frac{1}{72}\tag{2}\)

\(\displaystyle C_2-C_3=\frac{1}{240}\tag{3}\)

Suppose you subtract (3) from (1)...what do you get?

The OP correctly deduced:

\(\displaystyle C_1=\frac{1}{120}\)

\(\displaystyle C_2=\frac{1}{180}\)

\(\displaystyle C_3=\frac{1}{720}\)

I wish I had seen the thread here first. :p

Related to [ASK] Debit: Determining Flow Rates In/Out Of Container

1. What is Debit and why is it important in determining flow rates?

Debit is the rate at which fluid flows into or out of a container, and it is an important factor in determining flow rates because it helps us understand how much fluid is moving through a system at a given time.

2. How is Debit calculated?

Debit can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that flows into or out of a container by the time it takes to flow. This gives us the average flow rate, which can be expressed in units such as liters per minute or cubic meters per second.

3. What factors can affect Debit in a system?

Several factors can affect Debit in a system, including the size and shape of the container, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature of the system, and the presence of any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

4. How can Debit be measured experimentally?

To measure Debit experimentally, a person can use tools such as a flow meter, which measures the volume of fluid passing through a particular point in a given amount of time. Alternatively, the volume of fluid that flows into or out of a container can be measured using a measuring cylinder or graduated cylinder.

5. How can Debit be manipulated to control flow rates?

Debit can be manipulated by adjusting the variables that affect its calculation, such as the size and shape of the container, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the system. By changing these factors, we can control the rate at which fluid flows into or out of a container.