As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries

• Thread starter sermatt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the observation of seeds sticking to a plate after being dried for a few hours. It was suggested that the sugar in the cherries caused the stickiness due to surface tension. The discussion also touched on alternative types of cherries and theories on why things stick.
sermatt
I noticed that the seeds that were drying on the plate for a couple of hours were stuck to the plate.

How come?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is, the cherries contain sugar. The liquid around the pip dries leaving the sticky sugar to stick them to the plate. Why do things stick? I'm guessing surface tension, chemical bonding or static electricity, with sugar I'm thinking it's surface tension.

sermatt said:
I noticed that the seeds that were drying on the plate for a couple of hours were stuck to the plate.

How come?
Have you tried this with Bing Cherries?

redargon said:
My guess is, the cherries contain sugar. The liquid around the pip dries leaving the sticky sugar to stick them to the plate. Why do things stick? I'm guessing surface tension, chemical bonding or static electricity, with sugar I'm thinking it's surface tension.

Now it all makes sense! Thanks.

lol...I love this forum already.

Related to As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries

What is the poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries" about?

The poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries" is about a person who is enjoying the simple pleasure of eating cherries, but is suddenly struck with the thought of how the cherries were once part of a living tree. The poem explores themes of life, death, and the cyclical nature of nature.

Who wrote the poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries"?

The poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries" was written by Mary Oliver, an American poet known for her nature and spirituality-inspired works.

What is the meaning behind the line "how easily they die" in the poem?

The line "how easily they die" in the poem refers to the fleeting nature of life. The cherries, once alive and vibrant, were easily plucked from the tree and consumed. This can also be seen as a metaphor for the brevity of human life.

What is the form and structure of the poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries"?

The poem "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries" is written in free verse, meaning it does not follow a specific rhyme or meter. The poem is comprised of four stanzas, each with six lines. This structure allows for a natural flow and reflection on the theme of the poem.

What is the significance of the title "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries"?

The title "As I Was Eating Some Black Cherries" sets the scene for the poem and hints at the simple, mundane act that leads to a profound realization. It also emphasizes the present moment and the speaker's mindfulness in enjoying the cherries before the thought of their origin interrupts.