Argon or Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber

In summary: Dry In summary, DaveDry is considering how to shorten his bake time and wants to know if people have a preference between Argon and dry Nitrogen. He suspects that the argon will provide higher purity by virtue of being heavier and excluding air from his glove box more effectively, but he also suspects that the residual argon will be more challenging for his ion pump and non evaporator getter combo to pump. He recommends reading articles by Phil Danielson for information on conditioning vacuum chambers.
dreens
TL;DR Summary
Curious whether people have a preferred gas for venting UHV.
Hi there,

I have a small, few liter UHV chamber that frequently needs to be vented and rebaked. I want to shorten my bake time, so I’ve obtained a glove box to allow me to vent, work and close back up under inert gas.

i’m curious if people have a preference between Argon and dry Nitrogen. I suspect the argon will provide higher purity by virtue of being heavier and excluding air from my glove box more effectively. But I also suspect that the residual argon will be more challenging for my ion pump and non evaporator getter combo to pump, compared with the nitrogen.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Dry N2 seems to be the preferred choice in my experience for the reasons you mentioned. Though I should mention that the seals and valves you use (conflat or viton) and the method of bakeout you are employing are going to have a bigger impact once you get into the high vacuum regime. Anyways, I highly recommend reading these articles by Phil Danielson for info https://www.normandale.edu/departme...lection/articles/conditioning-vacuum-chambers.

-Patrick

• Informative
Likes Twigg and berkeman
Price is also a factor here, if your budget is tight. Neglecting shipping and handling fees, argon is something like ~5x more expensive.

Thanks all. I really like that article series by Phil Danielson. It tickles me every time he refers to us, the readers, as “vacuum practitioners” or “practitioners of high vacuum”. Seems to happen at least once near the beginning of all his articles, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

It’s funny, at least here in MA, Argon and N2 are similarly priced. Argon is about 40% more. Either are available at ultra high purity or research grade, the latter being about 5x the price relative to the former for either gas. I wonder if you could’ve been seeing a comparison between more pure Argon and less pure N2, Twigg?

Anyways, I’m going with N2, for what it’s worth.

Cheers,
Dave

Related to Argon or Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber

1. What is the purpose of using Argon or Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber?

The purpose of using Argon or Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber is to create a controlled environment inside the chamber. These gases are used to purge any residual air or moisture from the chamber, creating a high vacuum environment for conducting experiments or processes that require low pressure conditions.

2. What are the differences between Argon and Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber?

Argon is an inert gas that does not react with other substances, making it a good choice for creating a stable and clean vacuum environment. Dry N2, on the other hand, is a dry form of nitrogen gas that is commonly used in vacuum chambers to avoid introducing any moisture into the system. Both gases have similar properties and can be used interchangeably for venting purposes.

3. How do I choose between Argon and Dry N2 for venting my small Ultra High Vacuum chamber?

The choice between Argon and Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber depends on the specific needs of your experiment or process. If moisture is a concern, Dry N2 would be the better option. If you want to create a completely inert environment, Argon would be the preferred choice. It is best to consult with a vacuum expert to determine the most suitable gas for your specific application.

4. Can I use other gases for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber?

Yes, there are other gases that can be used for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber, such as helium, neon, or krypton. However, these gases may have different properties and may not be as effective as Argon or Dry N2 in creating a stable and clean vacuum environment. It is important to consult with a vacuum expert before using any other gas for venting purposes.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using Argon or Dry N2 for venting a small Ultra High Vacuum chamber?

Yes, it is important to handle these gases with caution as they can be hazardous if not properly handled. Make sure to use appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these gases. It is also important to ensure proper ventilation and to follow all safety guidelines provided by the gas supplier.