Area under the curve using polar coordinates - help

In summary: So basically, when integrating around a circle, either Cartesian or Polar, dθ will always be negative, unless θ is negative as well.
fleazo
Hi, I have a pretty simple question but I'm not certain I know how to phrase it properly. I will try.

When we are integrating using cartesian coordinates to find the area under a curve, area under the x-axis is negative and area above the x-axis is positive. This makes sense when I think of the integral in terms of reimann sums because because we are just summing areas of rectangles using the formula f(t)*(t-a) for some t in the interval we're integrating over. If we have an f(t) under the x axis, that means f(t) is negative, and since dx is "positive", we would get a negative number for the area of the rectangle.

But when thinking of polar coordinates I'm confused. In polar coordinates, θ is like our "x" and r is like our "y". So it seems the analogue to this situation would be when r is negative. But when thinking of this in terms of reimann sums, that doesn't seem like the case. Since the area of a sector of a circle is (1/2)r2θ, if r is negative it just becomes positive when we square it. So the only thing that would make this amount negative is if θ is negative. in the integral, dθ takes the place of θ in this equation. Does dθ ever become "negative"? Do we have to worry about negative area when dealing with integrating using polar coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine integrating around a circle that does not touch or contain the origin to find its area. Suppose you go anticlockwise around it. On the section that's further from the origin, dθ is positive, and it gives you not just the area of the circle but also the area of the triangle it subtends at the origin; on the return section, it is negative, and subtracts the extra area to leave you with just the area of the circle.

wow thank you, that makes perfect sense!

I have one doubt though. How is it that dθ is negative? When I think of dθ, I think of it like a metric, like it's measuring the distance between two points and that it's always positive. So I'm not quite grasping what it is that makes dθ negative. Is it because we are going anti clockwise? If so, why is it that the direction we go has an impact on the sign of dθ?

Thanks again for your explanation

fleazo said:
When we are integrating using cartesian coordinates to find the area under a curve, area under the x-axis is negative and area above the x-axis is positive. This makes sense when I think of the integral in terms of reimann sums because because we are just summing areas of rectangles using the formula f(t)*(t-a) for some t in the interval we're integrating over. If we have an f(t) under the x axis, that means f(t) is negative, and since dx is "positive", we would get a negative number for the area of the rectangle.

But when thinking of polar coordinates I'm confused. In polar coordinates, θ is like our "x" and r is like our "y". So it seems the analogue to this situation would be when r is negative. But when thinking of this in terms of reimann sums, that doesn't seem like the case. Since the area of a sector of a circle is (1/2)r2θ, if r is negative it just becomes positive when we square it. So the only thing that would make this amount negative is if θ is negative. in the integral, dθ takes the place of θ in this equation. Does dθ ever become "negative"? Do we have to worry about negative area when dealing with integrating using polar coordinates?
Can you give an example where you would use polars to evaluate the area under a graph?

I generally only use it to evaluate an area within some sort of boundary.

Sorry, it was bad wording on my part. That's what i meant, was the interior of say a circle, or a cardioid or something like that.

fleazo said:
How is it that dθ is negative?
Remember that θ is an angle measured at the origin. On the 'return' part, although you are still going anticlockwise around the circle, θ is decreasing.

You can also think of it in terms of a surface integral. dA=dxdy=rdrdθ. This is calculated through the determinant of the Jacobian. Now, if dxdy is a small rectangle what is rdrdθ?

Well, rdθ is an arc length, therefore you have small convex rectangles. However, because both dr and dθ are infinitesimal in size, you can consider that dθ(r) ~ dθ(r+dr), therefore they degenerate to normal rectangles like in the cartesian case.

I think you are mixing together a number of different things.

When you think of an integral in terms of "area under the curve", you think of a "simple" integral (of f(x) on an interval). When you think of polar coordinates, you think either about a contour integral or a planar double integral.

They have somewhat different forms, but all of them can be used to compute "area under the curve", in which case one form can always be transformed into another.

Related to Area under the curve using polar coordinates - help

1. What is the concept of area under the curve using polar coordinates?

The concept of area under the curve using polar coordinates is a way of finding the area enclosed by a polar curve on a polar coordinate system. Instead of using traditional rectangular coordinates, this method uses polar coordinates which use an angle and a distance from the origin to represent a point on the curve.

2. How is the area under the curve calculated using polar coordinates?

To calculate the area under the curve using polar coordinates, we use the formula A = 1/2 ∫ab r2 dθ, where r is the distance from the origin to the curve and θ is the angle. This formula integrates the curve between the two limits a and b to find the area enclosed by the curve.

3. What are the steps to find the area under the curve using polar coordinates?

The steps to find the area under the curve using polar coordinates are as follows:
1. Determine the limits a and b for the angle θ.
2. Identify the curve and determine the equation for r in terms of θ.
3. Substitute the equation for r into the formula A = 1/2 ∫ab r2 dθ.
4. Integrate the function between the limits a and b.
5. Simplify the expression and calculate the final value for the area under the curve.

4. What are some real-life applications of area under the curve using polar coordinates?

One real-life application of area under the curve using polar coordinates is in engineering and physics, where polar coordinates are commonly used to represent forces and motion in circular or rotational systems. Another application is in calculating the area of polar regions on Earth, such as the Arctic or Antarctica, where traditional rectangular coordinates are not as effective.

5. Are there any limitations to using area under the curve using polar coordinates?

There are some limitations to using area under the curve using polar coordinates. One limitation is that it can only be used for curves that are symmetric about the origin. Additionally, it may be more difficult to visualize and interpret the results compared to using rectangular coordinates. It is also important to ensure that the limits a and b are chosen appropriately to accurately represent the desired area under the curve.