Area of intersection between two circles

In summary: If you draw a line from the center of each circle to the point of intersection, you will form a triangle with sides of length r, 1, and the distance between the centers of the circles. Using the Law of Cosines, we can find the angle at the intersection of the two circles to be 120 degrees. This means that angles MCO and MOC are both 30 degrees. Next, we can use the formula for the area of a sector to find the areas of sector MCO and MOC. We know that the angle of each sector is 30 degrees, and the radius is 1 for one circle and r for the other. This gives us the equations: Area sector MCO = (30/
Sarah L
Hi,

I would very much like someone to help me solve the area of intersection between to intersecting circles (one with the radius r, and one with the radius 1). Tangents at the intersecting point form a 120 degree outer angle.

1. Homework Statement , 2 Relevent equations

Here is a sketch of the problem: http://i42.tinypic.com/m9254i.jpg
I want to calculate the area of the intersection between the two circles.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to calculate the distance between the centres of the two circles and thought I could use that to somehow calculate the area of the intersection but I haven't managed to find any solution to the problem.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Sarah

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sarah,
If you draw a line joining the two points of intersection, you will cut the area into two segments. Can you see how to calculate the area of one of these segments (as the difference of two simpler areas)?

Concentrate on the sectors of intersection (there is no intersection in the rest of the circles).

Area intersection=Area sector 1+Area sector 2-Area union of sectors
The union of sectors is the kite (quadrilateral with two pairs of adjacent equal sides) the two sectors form
The idea is the overlap is the double conted area so we can add the two areas and subtract the single counted part to find it.

usefull formula
area sector=(angle/angle full circle)pi r^2
area kite=rR sin (angle)
r R radii two circles
angle angle between unequal sides
length of chord 2r sin(angle/2)

The first thing is to find angles MCO and MOC in terms of r.

Related to Area of intersection between two circles

1. What is the formula for finding the area of intersection between two circles?

The formula for finding the area of intersection between two circles is A = r² * cos⁻¹((d² + r² - R²) / (2dr)) - (1/2) * √(4d²r² - (d² + r² - R²)²), where A is the area, r is the radius of the smaller circle, R is the radius of the larger circle, and d is the distance between the centers of the two circles.

2. Can the area of intersection between two circles be negative?

No, the area of intersection between two circles cannot be negative. It is always either a positive value or zero.

3. How do you determine if two circles are intersecting?

Two circles are intersecting if the distance between their centers is less than the sum of their radii. In other words, if d < r₁ + r₂, where d is the distance between the centers and r₁ and r₂ are the radii of the two circles, then they are intersecting.

4. What is the maximum possible area of intersection between two circles?

The maximum possible area of intersection between two circles occurs when the distance between their centers is equal to the sum of their radii. In this case, the two circles are just touching and the area of intersection is equal to the area of the smaller circle.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the area of intersection between two circles?

Yes, if the distance between the centers is less than the sum of the radii, the area of intersection can also be calculated as A = r₁² * cos⁻¹((d² + r₂² - r₁²) / (2dr₂)) + r₂² * cos⁻¹((d² + r₁² - r₂²) / (2dr₁)) - (1/2) * √(4d²r₁² - (d² + r₂² - r₁²)²) - (1/2) * √(4d²r₂² - (d² + r₁² - r₂²)²).