Area of a triangle using vectors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a triangle with given points P, Q, and R. The homework equation for finding the area is mentioned and the poster asks for help to check their answer of ## \frac {\sqrt {13}}{2} ##. Another poster suggests that the cross product may have been evaluated incorrectly and explains the correct way to do it.
Calpalned
## 1. Homework Statement
Let P = (1,1,1), Q = (0, 3, 1) and R = (0, 1, 4). Find the area of triangle PQR

Homework Equations

## \frac {|PQ × PR|}{2} ## = area (The crossproduct divided by two)

The Attempt at a Solution

I lost my answer key, so I want to check if my final answer of ## \frac {\sqrt {13}}{2} ## is right. Thanks everyone. If it isn't, I'll put up my work. ##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there Calpalned. I have worked the problem through, and I am not sure that your answer is correct. Are you sure you have evaluated the cross product correctly?

PhysyCola said:
Hey there Calpalned. I have worked the problem through, and I am not sure that your answer is correct. Are you sure you have evaluated the cross product correctly?

I took the cross product of ## <-1, 2, 0> ## and ## <-1, 0,3> ## and I got ## (0-0)-(-3-0)+(0--2) ## = ## <0, 3, 2> ## Taking the magnitude, I get the answer in my first post.

Calpalned said:
I took the cross product of ## <-1, 2, 0> ## and ## <-1, 0,3> ## and I got ## (0-0)-(-3-0)+(0--2) ## = ## <0, 3, 2> ## Taking the magnitude, I get the answer in my first post.
Not correct.

This should have vector components: ## (0-0)-(-3-0)+(0--2) ## . What you have is a scalar.

The x-component of the result, ##\ <0,\, 3,\, 2>\ ## is incorrect.

Related to Area of a triangle using vectors

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle using vectors?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle using vectors is A = 1/2 * |(x1,y1) X (x2,y2)|, where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the two vectors representing the sides of the triangle.

2. How do you find the length of a vector?

To find the length of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the length of a vector (x,y) is given by √(x²+y²).

3. Can the area of a triangle be negative when using vector notation?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative when using vector notation. The magnitude of the cross product of two vectors is always positive, so the result of the formula A = 1/2 * |(x1,y1) X (x2,y2)| will always be positive.

4. Is the order of the vectors important when calculating the area of a triangle?

Yes, the order of the vectors is important when calculating the area of a triangle using vectors. The cross product is not commutative, meaning that (x1,y1) X (x2,y2) is not equal to (x2,y2) X (x1,y1). Therefore, the order in which the vectors are placed in the formula will affect the final result.

5. Can you use vector notation to find the area of any triangle?

Yes, you can use vector notation to find the area of any triangle, as long as you have two vectors representing the sides of the triangle. This method is particularly useful when working with non-right triangles, as it does not require the use of trigonometric functions.