Area of a Segment of a Circle, when only the radius is known.

In summary, to find the area of a segment of a circle bounded by a line segment and a minor arc, one must first find the angle formed by the two radii that connect the endpoints of the line segment to the center of the circle. This can be done by using the fact that the line segment also acts as a perpendicular bisector of the radius connecting the two endpoints. Once the angle is known, the formula A = πr^2θ/360 - 0.5r^2sinθ can be used to find the area of the segment, where r is the radius and θ is the angle in degrees. The area can be given in exact form in terms of surds and pi.
malam1990
A circle has Centre 0 and radius 2. A, B and C are points on the circumference of a circle such that AB is the perpindicular bisector of 0C.

Find the area of the segment of the circle bounded by the line segment AB and the minor arc ACB.

Give the area in exact forms in terms of surds and pi.

I have uploaded the circle diagram as well.

I understand how to find the area of a segment of a circle when I know the angle and radius, but am unsure when I only know the radius. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Attachments

• Circle.doc
    129.5 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
Well show me how you would do it if you knew the angle

I would use the formula:

A = [tex]\Pi[/tex]r2[tex]\theta[/tex]/360 - 0.5r2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

cheers

hi malam1990! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
malam1990 said:
A circle has Centre 0 and radius 2. A, B and C are points on the circumference of a circle such that AB is the perpindicular bisector of 0C.

I understand how to find the area of a segment of a circle when I know the angle and radius, but am unsure when I only know the radius.

but you do know the angle …

you know the lengths of two sides of triangle AOD (where D bisects AB) :wink:

OC, OA, and OB are all radii of the circle, right?

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)

but you do know the angle …

Hi, thanks for the help, but I'm still not sure how I get to know the angle, the answer is probably really obvious but unfortunately I am just not seeing it. So far I have θ as 90 degress but am unsure whether this is correct.

Cheers for the help again! it is much appreciated!

SammyS said:

yes they are.

cheers for any help.

tiny-tim said:
malam1990 said:
Hi, thanks for the help, but I'm still not sure how I get to know the angle …

what are the lengths of two sides of triangle AOD ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

what are the lengths of two sides of triangle AOD ? :wink:

well I know OA is 2 as it is the radius, but I am still unsure how I would get to know either OD or DA?

cheers

but you know that D is the bisector of OC :wink:

tiny-tim said:
but you know that D is the bisector of OC :wink:

I'm really sorry but I'm still not getting it, I can't see how it helps me know definitely the length of one of the other sides of the traingle AOD. :confused:

SammyS said:

Therefore, AB bisects OC.

That should let you find the angle!

Would I be correct in thinking that OD would be 1 and AD being [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] ?

which would then give me 60deg for the angle AOD? and 120 deg for the angle of the whole sector AOB?

yup! … AB bisects OC, so OD = OC/2 = 1, so the right-angled triangle has sides 2 1 and √3, and cosAOD = 1/2, so AOD = 60° :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yup! … AB bisects OC, so OD = OC/2 = 1, so the right-angled triangle has sides 2 1 and √3, and cosAOD = 1/2, so AOD = 60° :smile:

thank you so much for guiding me to finally seeing how to do it!

thanks again! you really have helped me out!

Related to Area of a Segment of a Circle, when only the radius is known.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a segment of a circle when only the radius is known?

The formula for finding the area of a segment of a circle when only the radius is known is A = (r^2/2)(θ-sinθ), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle of the segment in radians.

2. How do I convert degrees to radians for the central angle in the formula?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula θ(rad) = θ(deg) * π/180, where θ(rad) represents the angle in radians and θ(deg) represents the angle in degrees. For example, if the central angle is 90 degrees, it would be converted to π/2 radians.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the area of a segment of a circle with any central angle?

Yes, the formula A = (r^2/2)(θ-sinθ) can be used for any central angle, as long as the radius and central angle are measured in the same units (either degrees or radians).

4. How is the central angle related to the area of the segment of a circle?

The central angle is a major factor in determining the area of a segment of a circle. The larger the central angle, the larger the area of the segment will be. This is because a larger central angle creates a larger slice of the circle, resulting in a larger area.

5. Can the area of a segment of a circle be larger than the area of the whole circle?

No, the area of a segment of a circle can never be larger than the area of the entire circle. The area of the segment is always a portion of the area of the whole circle, and it can never exceed it.