Area of a Parametrized Surface

In summary, the conversation was about using the surface area differential for a parametrized surface to find the area of a paraboloid. The original poster had used r and theta as parameters, while their friend had used x and y. After some corrections and clarifications, it was determined that both methods gave the same answer. The reasoning behind writing z = r2 instead of z = 4-r2 was also discussed.
Differentiate1
Here's my work: http://i.imgur.com/UMj72Ub.png

I used the surface area differential for a parametrized surface to solve for the area of that paraboloid surface. My friend tried solving this by parametrizing with x and y instead of r and theta which gave him the same answer. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone else can verify if this answer is correct as it looks out of the ordinary.

Thanks,

Differentiate1

Physics news on Phys.org
You've a few typos in there, but it is essentially right.
Some spurious 'r' factors in rr. You don't want the modulus signs around the first mention of rr x rθ.
You should mention the reasoning behind writing z = r2 instead of z = 4-r2.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
You've a few typos in there, but it is essentially right.
Some spurious 'r' factors in rr. You don't want the modulus signs around the first mention of rr x rθ.
You should mention the reasoning behind writing z = r2 instead of z = 4-r2.

Sorry about the part where I wrote z = r2. I essentially set z = 0 and moved the 4 over and got -4 = -x2-y2. Eliminate the negatives and I ended up with 4 = x2+y2 where r = 2. Hence why I set z = r2.

Thanks again!

Related to Area of a Parametrized Surface

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a smooth surface?

The formula for finding the area of a smooth surface is dependent on the shape of the surface. For a rectangle, the formula is length x width. For a triangle, the formula is 1/2 x base x height. For a circle, the formula is π x radius^2.

2. How do you measure the area of a smooth surface?

The area of a smooth surface can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to find the length and width of the surface. For more complex shapes, such as circles or irregular shapes, measuring tools like a protractor or compass may be needed.

3. What units are used to measure the area of a smooth surface?

The units used to measure the area of a smooth surface will depend on the formula being used. For example, if the formula is length x width, the units will be in square units, such as square feet or square meters. For a circle, the units will be in square units multiplied by π, such as square inches times π.

4. Can the area of a smooth surface be negative?

No, the area of a smooth surface cannot be negative. Area is a measure of the amount of space enclosed by a surface, and it cannot be less than zero. If a formula yields a negative number, it may indicate an error in measurement or calculation.

5. Is the area of a smooth surface the same as its perimeter?

No, the area of a smooth surface and its perimeter are two different measures. The area is a measure of the surface enclosed by a shape, while the perimeter is a measure of the distance around the shape. For example, a square with sides of 5 units has an area of 25 square units, but a perimeter of 20 units.