Area & Distances of Polygon in Circle: Find An

• Thread starter fellowsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Areas
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the formula for the area of a polygon with n equal sides inscribed in a circle with radius r. By dividing the polygon into n congruent triangles with central angle 2pi/n, the formula An=(1/2)nr^2sin(2pi/n) is derived. It is clarified that the sine of the angle is used, as the hypotenuse of the triangle is the radius. The conversation also addresses confusion about splitting the triangles and using calculus.
fellowsk
A)Let An be the area of a polygon with n equal sides inscribed in a circle with radius r. By dividing the polygon into n congruent triangles with central angle 2pi/n, show that An=(1/2)nr^2sin(2pi/n).
B)Show that the limit as n approaches infinity = pir^2.

Now, for part A, I don't understand how you can take the sin of the angle, because it is not a right triangle. And even if you divided the triangle in half, wouldn't it be more beneficial to take the tan, because then you would be getting the base and height of the triangle? I just need help on where to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you divide the triangle in half. But it is the sine you want - the hypotenuse of the triangle is the radius, r.

A good place to start is to derive the formula for the area of a triangle.

Notice that, for each of the triangles, you know three pieces of information: two of the sides, and their included angle. Your thoughts about splitting the triangle into two parts (each right triangles) is a good one... but you have to do it right. :smile: You're given one of the angles, so it wouldn't make sense for that angle to be the one you split up...

Alright, thanks. I'm so used to integrating from high school calculus, so now that we are not supposed to know how in my calc 125 class, I'm not really sure what I'm doing anymore. But I've worked it out by splitting the triangle in half, keeping the angle of 2pi/n, and I figured out how it works.

Related to Area & Distances of Polygon in Circle: Find An

What is a polygon?

A polygon is a two-dimensional shape that is made up of straight lines and has a closed boundary. It can have any number of sides, but each side must be a straight line and the sides cannot intersect.

What is a circle?

A circle is a two-dimensional shape that is defined as the set of all points that are equidistant from a single point, called the center. It can also be described as the locus of points at a given distance from the center.

What is the area of a polygon?

The area of a polygon is the measure of the space inside the shape. It is typically measured in square units, such as square inches or square meters.

How do you find the area of a polygon in a circle?

To find the area of a polygon in a circle, you can divide the circle into smaller, equal sections and then calculate the area of each section. The sum of these areas will be the total area of the polygon.

What is the distance of a polygon in a circle?

The distance of a polygon in a circle is the length of the line segment that connects the center of the circle to any point on the boundary of the polygon. This distance is the radius of the circle and is used in calculating the area of the polygon.