Are Your Friends Outside of Your Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different experiences of having friends within the same major and outside of it in university. While some individuals have friends from various departments and majors, others tend to form closer relationships with those in their own major. However, there are also cases where friendships are based on common interests and values rather than academic pursuits. Personal experiences and long-lasting friendships are also mentioned.
proton
I'm just curious, for those of you undergrads/grad students and those of you who graduated, how many of your friends are/were within your same/related major? (like if you are/were a physics major, how many of your friends were non-physics/math/engineering majors?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I had freinds from every sphere at uni -- my gf at the time was doing sociology, mind.

I have many friends within my major (Physics), but this is not necessarily all of them. I have a few acquaintances in other majors, and my best friend is a biology major. I do seem to spend most of my time around other science majors, but this is just my own experience.

I tended to make friends with people who had similar interests in music, sports and extracurricular activities, and who had similar philosophical perspectives.

When I was a physics major, my best friend was a quadruple major in Psychology, History, French and Economics. We had some wild times together, and we still keep in touch after 30+ years. And I keep in touch with my best friend from high school after 35+ years, and another friend I've known since 6th grade nearly 40 years ago.

I didn't really have close friends from the same department when I studied physics. On the other hand, when I changed majors to nuclear engineering, most of my friends were in that department.

Related to Are Your Friends Outside of Your Major?

1. What is the significance of having friends outside of your major?

Having friends outside of your major can provide a fresh perspective and new ideas. It can also broaden your knowledge and understanding of different subjects, helping you become a more well-rounded individual.

2. How can having friends outside of my major benefit my career?

Having friends from different majors can expand your professional network and potentially open up new job opportunities. They may also have valuable insights and knowledge that can help you in your career.

3. Is it important for scientists to have friends outside of their field of study?

Yes, it is important for scientists to have friends outside of their field of study. This can lead to collaborations and interdisciplinary research, which can result in groundbreaking discoveries.

4. Can having friends outside of my major improve my social skills?

Yes, having friends from different majors can improve your social skills by exposing you to different communication styles and social norms. It can also help you develop empathy and understanding for people with different backgrounds and perspectives.

5. How can I make friends outside of my major if I am primarily surrounded by people in my field?

You can join clubs or organizations that cater to your interests outside of your major, attend events or conferences related to your hobbies, or take classes in other departments. You can also reach out to people in your classes or through social media to connect with individuals from different majors.