Are x and ix linearly dependant or independant? (i=√-1)

• Thread starter gikiian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linearly
In summary, the question is whether x and ix are linearly dependent or independent in a specific vector space with a specific field. While it may seem that they should be dependent due to i being a constant, applying the definition of linear independence shows that they are in fact independent. However, this may not be the case if a different vector space or field is considered.
gikiian
The question is: are x and ix linearly dependent or independent?

My first guess is that they should be linearly dependent since i is a constant.

But when you apply the definition of linear independence i.e. when you solve ax+ibx=0 (where x≠0), you get a=-ib which shows that the only solution can be a,b=0.

Hence, according to definition of linear independence, x and ix should be linearly independent.

Am I correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you need to be claer about how you are setting up the vector space.
i.e. In the complex plane, ix is perpendicular to x.

when you solve ax+ibx=0 (where x≠0), you get a=-ib which shows that the only solution can be a,b=0.
Only if you insist that a and b are both real.
The definition applies over a subset of a vector space - which vector space do these two numbers belong to?

Likes 1 person
gikiian said:

In what vector space, with what field?

My first guess is that they should be linearly dependent since i is a constant.

Linear dependence has nothing to do with whether something is a constant.

But when you apply the definition of linear independence i.e. when you solve ax+ibx=0 (where x≠0), you get a=-ib which shows that the only solution can be a,b=0.

Why? ##b=2## and ##a=-2i## is also a solution.

Am I correct?

Consider the complex numbers as a one dimensional vector space over itself. What happens?

Related to Are x and ix linearly dependant or independant? (i=√-1)

What does it mean for x and ix to be linearly dependent or independent?

Linear dependence or independence refers to the relationship between two or more variables in a mathematical equation. If two variables, x and ix, are linearly dependent, it means that one can be expressed as a multiple of the other. If they are linearly independent, it means that they cannot be expressed in terms of each other.

How can I determine if x and ix are linearly dependent or independent?

To determine if x and ix are linearly dependent or independent, you can use the method of elimination. This involves solving equations involving both variables to see if one can be expressed in terms of the other. If it is possible to do so, then the variables are linearly dependent. If not, they are linearly independent.

What is the significance of i=√-1 in determining linear dependence or independence?

The value of i=√-1, also known as the imaginary unit, plays a crucial role in determining linear dependence or independence. It allows for the representation of complex numbers, which are made up of a real and imaginary component. This is important when solving equations involving variables with complex values.

Can x and ix be linearly dependent if x and ix both have real values?

Yes, x and ix can still be linearly dependent even if they both have real values. This is because the concept of linear dependence or independence applies to all types of numbers, including real and complex numbers. Therefore, even if the values of x and ix are not imaginary, they can still be related in a linear way.

What implications does linear dependence or independence have in scientific research?

In scientific research, linear dependence or independence can have significant implications. It can help researchers understand the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other. It can also aid in creating mathematical models and predicting outcomes in experiments. Additionally, linear dependence or independence is essential in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.