Are these the correct cos and sin relations for the given values?

In summary, the given equations state that if the mean of a variable is equal to the cosine of its angle (\mu = cos(\theta)), and the mean of another variable is equal to the cosine of its angle (\mu_{0} = cos(\theta_{0})), then the cosine of the difference between their angles (\pi - \Theta) can be expressed as the product of their means plus the product of the square roots of 1 minus their means squared, times the cosine of a third angle (\phi). This relationship holds true regardless of whether the sines of the angles are positive or negative. Additionally, the ranges of the angles \theta and \theta_{0} are 0 to 60 degrees and 0
Somefantastik
if

[tex] \mu = cos(\theta) [/tex] and [tex] \mu_{0} = cos(\theta_{0}) [/tex]

and

[tex] cos(\pi - \Theta) = \mu_{0}\mu + \sqrt{1-\mu_{0}^{2}}\sqrt{1-\mu^{2}}cos(\phi) [/tex]

Then

[tex] cos(\pi - \Theta) = cos(\theta_{0})cos(\theta) + sin(\theta_{0})sin(\theta)cos(\phi) [/tex]

Is this not correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
Is this not correct?

What if one of the sines is negative?

sorry, range of [tex]\theta[/tex] is 0 to 60 degrees, and [tex] \theta_{0} [/tex] range is 0 to 70 degrees. As far as I can tell, sin will always be positive. But regardless, sin(theta)< 0 would change the value of the over all equation, but are the two equations not equal?

Several questions:

(1) Are [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\Theta[/itex] the same variable?

(2) What is [itex]\phi[/itex]?

(3) I'm not sure what the equation is getting at. It appears to be a hyrid of a cofunction, symmetric, and angle sum identity. Something feels missing. Could you provide more detail as to what you are trying to show here?

--Elucidus

Yes, your final relationship follows from what you have given.

Ok thanks Integral; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy

Related to Are these the correct cos and sin relations for the given values?

1. What are cos and sin relations?

Cos and sin are trigonometric functions that relate the angles of a right triangle to the ratio of its side lengths. Cosine (cos) is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, while sine (sin) is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

2. How are cos and sin related to each other?

Cos and sin are complementary functions, meaning that they are related to each other by the Pythagorean identity: cos^2θ + sin^2θ = 1. This means that if you know the value of one function, you can use the Pythagorean identity to find the other.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to cos and sin?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is used to visualize the values of cos and sin for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cos value, while the y-coordinate represents the sin value of that angle.

4. How are cos and sin used in real life?

Cos and sin are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the force of a pendulum, and the position of celestial objects, among other things.

5. How can I remember the values of cos and sin for common angles?

There are a few tricks to remember the values of cos and sin for common angles. One is to use the acronym "SOH-CAH-TOA" (sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, tangent = opposite/adjacent). Another is to use the patterns of the values on the unit circle, where cos values are positive in the first and fourth quadrants, and sin values are positive in the first and second quadrants.