Are There Swing Dancers on PhysicsForums?

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hep
In summary: I have been an avid contra dancer for about 20 years, and occasionally do English country dancing. It's great to see a lot of people in their 20's getting into contras these past few years too!
Lancelot59
I was wondering if there were any others on the forum who do some form of swing. I personally do list lindy hop, and a little bit of blues and balboa. If not how about other types of dance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I never went so far as to learn this awesome kind of dancing, but I love the music and have spent a lot of time enviously watching videos of Lindy competitions.

I got turned on to this from seeing the movie Swing Kids years ago when it came out. (House fans should check this movie out to see what House's best pal, Wilson was like as a young actor.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqUEkRNuRd0

I like that movie because it underscores how erotic and subversive Swing dancing actually was at the time. It was counter-culture. Back then the establishment usually dealt with stuff like that by trying to soften it down, create a nice "white" version. That's what happened in the US and England, anyway. The Nazis outright forbade it and cracked down.

We have to turn to non-mainstream films to get a sense of where it came from, why the white establishment wanted to soften it down, why the Nazis wanted to crush it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJReiCaPk

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, oh there must be dozens of them here.

Then I realized, you didn't mean High Energy Physics :redface:.

My wife and I learned the rock step and dance swing style when we get a chance. It was called the Jitterbug when I was a kid.

lisab said:
When I saw the title of this thread I thought, oh there must be dozens of them here. Then I realized, you didn't mean High Energy Physics :redface:.

I thought somebody did not find the kitten lovers thread yet.

I wanted to try swinging, but my wife wouldn't go for it...

lisab said:
When I saw the title of this thread I thought, oh there must be dozens of them here.

Then I realized, you didn't mean High Energy Physics :redface:.

That was my initial reaction too. :-/

Does anyone here do any form of dance?

I used to do a lot of dancing to good rock (Springsteen, Dire Straits, etc.), every weekend, up until about 8 or 9 years ago. Now, unfortunately, I can barely make it to the bathroom without my cane and need a walker to leave the house. I could probably manage a cling-and-shuffle to a slow song, but I haven't tried.

Lancelot59 said:
Does anyone here do any form of dance?

Free-form rock, if you call that a "form" of dance. And I can also contra-dance.

Edit: What am I thinkin? I also know how to waltz and foxtrot. I'd forgotten, it's been so long since I had occasion to. I also did some Morris dancing for a while, but didn't enjoy it so much.

I asked because a lot of the people I've met through dancing are engineers, or of some other kind of scientific or technical orientation.

<insert usual jibes about swinging and wives>

My wife and I did ballroom dancing for a few years. Foxtrot, Tango, Waltz, Salsa, Swing. Great way to get exercise, quality time and work on communication skills simultaneously.

I swing dance. I also met Frankie Manning (in the dark overalls in the Hellzapoppin' clip) before he died. Also, we have the same birthday, which is today.

Ben Niehoff said:
I swing dance. I also met Frankie Manning (in the dark overalls in the Hellzapoppin' clip) before he died. Also, we have the same birthday, which is today.
HEP-py birthday!

zoobyshoe said:
Free-form rock, if you call that a "form" of dance. And I can also contra-dance.
I have been an avid contra dancer for about 20 years, and occasionally do English country dancing. It's great to see a lot of people in their 20's getting into contras these past few years too!

zooby, have you ever been to a techno-contra?

Ben Niehoff said:

Awesome! I started this last October, so I never got to meet him. We actually had a tribute dance last Wednesday since the Saturday one was cancelled. The swingout endurance competition was a fun challenge. It wound up with me and another couple going until someone dropped to Hellzapoppin.

Related to Are There Swing Dancers on PhysicsForums?

1. What is the purpose of "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?"

The purpose of "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?" is to provide a space for members to discuss topics related to physics and other scientific fields in a fun and engaging way.

2. Who can participate in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?"

Anyone who is a member of PhysicsForums can participate in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?" regardless of their level of expertise or background in science.

3. What types of discussions can be found in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?"

"Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?" hosts a wide range of discussions on various scientific topics, including physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, and more. Discussions can also include non-scientific topics like music, movies, and literature.

4. How can I start a discussion in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?"

To start a discussion in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?", simply post a new thread with your topic of interest and begin the conversation. Make sure to follow the forum rules and be respectful of others' opinions.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?"

Yes, there are rules and guidelines for participating in "Any Hep Cats on PhysicsForums?" that can be found in the forum's FAQ section. It is important to follow these rules in order to create a positive and welcoming environment for all members.