Are there legal ways to quickly find eigenvalues of an operator?

In summary, to find the eigenvalues quickly for an operator of the form 1+3\vec{e}\cdot\vec{\sigma}, you can write out the matrix representation of the operator and then find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If \vec{e}\cdot\vec{e}=1, you can make an ansatz for \vec{e} and use a coordinate system where \vec{e} is in the z direction. Additionally, there are resources such as the book "Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics" and the "Cohen-Tannoudji book" available for download, which provide guidance on representing an operator in matrix form and solving related problems. While these downloads may not be
cscott
If I have an operator of the form [tex]1+3\vec{e}\cdot\vec{\sigma}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{e}\cdot\vec{e}=1[/tex].

How can I find the eigenvalues quickly?

Physics news on Phys.org
you write out the matrix representation of the operator, and then you find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors to that matrix, same as you do in linear algebra.

How can I write out the matrix representation without knowing e?

You know this:

[tex]\vec{e}\cdot\vec{e}=1[/tex]

Why not just make the ansatz:
[tex] \vec{e} = (a,b,c) [/tex]
with:
[tex] a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 1 [/tex]

When you don't have any numbers or explicit expressions, but you have a condition to be fulfilled, you can atleast do an asatz.

Thanks

Or, you could just choose to use a coord system in which e is in the z direction.

listen man if you download the book Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics off emule, go to page 54 there's a whole section on how to represent an operator in matrix form. There are also plenty of problems on the subject in 5,6,7.
I guess you can also check these stuff in the Cohen-Tannoudji book, also availabe in emule. Good luck.
And by the way, I find those one line advices to be very unhelpful. that's why I usually turn to the books.

Is it a legal download?

why download a book that costs 12$ ?

Is it not a legal download. However, if this book was available on the internet as a scanned and well edited pdf file, I'd be more than glad to pay for it as this price. Just as I used to illegaly download mp3 before the age of iTunes.
Furthermore, as an undergraduate myself, I feel the moral need to help other undergrads regardless of who they are and where they live.

Related to Are there legal ways to quickly find eigenvalues of an operator?

1. What are eigenvalues of an operator?

Eigenvalues of an operator are the special values that satisfy the equation Av = λv, where A is the operator, v is the eigenvector, and λ is the eigenvalue. In other words, they are the values that when multiplied by the eigenvector, give a scalar multiple of the same vector.

2. Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues are important because they provide important information about the behavior and properties of an operator. They can tell us about the stability, convergence, and other characteristics of a system modeled by the operator.

3. How do you find eigenvalues of an operator?

To find eigenvalues of an operator, we need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the operator and I is the identity matrix. This equation will give us the eigenvalues of the operator, and we can then find the corresponding eigenvectors.

4. How are eigenvalues related to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. An eigenvector is a vector that is unchanged in direction when multiplied by the operator, and the corresponding eigenvalue is the scalar by which the eigenvector is scaled. In other words, eigenvectors and eigenvalues are like partners that work together to represent the behavior of the operator.

5. Can an operator have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, an operator can have complex eigenvalues. In fact, complex eigenvalues often occur in systems with oscillatory behavior. The real and imaginary parts of the complex eigenvalues can provide important information about the behavior and stability of the system.