Are there any infinitesimals in R?

In summary, the conversation discusses various approaches to proving that infinitesimals, defined as numbers between 0 and any positive real number, are not a subset of the set of real numbers. The first proof considers the convergence of a sequence of infinitesimals to 0, while the second proof uses the Archimedean property to show that infinitesimals cannot exist in the set of real numbers. Both proofs require some modifications to account for negative infinitesimals. The conversation also touches on the idea of proving by contradiction and suggests using the squeeze theorem to simplify the first proof.
avec_holl

Homework Statement

Prove that infinitesimals are not a subset of R.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I had two ideas about how to prove this but I'm really not sure about either. Proof 1 was the first idea I had but I think it's probably wrong since it has to do with the limit of a sequence. Proof 2 was my other idea but I think it seems fishy so it's probably wrong. Anyway, here goes nothing . . .

Proof 1: Suppose that (∃ε)(εR) defined by 0 < ε < 1/nnN. Clearly ε satisfies the definition of an infinitesimal.

Since ε < 1/n this defines a sequence {xn} = 1/n. We can prove that this sequence converges to zero as n becomes arbitrarily large by using the definition of convergence. Therefore,

(∀ϵ)(ϵ > 0)(∃N)(NN)(∀n)(if n > N then 0 < |{xn} - 0| < ϵ).

Clearly, if (ϵ > 0), then the must be some (NN) such that, 1/N < ϵ. The fact that n > N implies that 0 < {xn} = 1/n < 1/N < ϵ. Since this condition is true, we have that, if n > N then 0 < |{xn} - 0| < ϵ.

To complete the proof, we need only note that since 0 < ε < {xn}, if n > N then 0 < |ε| <|{xn}| < ϵ. This implies that ε = 0 and consequently, infinitesimals are not a subset of R. Q.E.D.

Proof 2: Suppose that (∃ε)(εR) defined by 0 < ε < 1/nnN. Clearly ε satisfies the definition of an infinitesimal. Since ε ≠ 0, ε-1R. Because 0 < ε < 1/nnN, this implies that ε-1 > nnN. However, this contradicts the Archimedean property of R and consequently infinitesimal numbers cannot be a subset of R. Q.E.D.

I hope this is the right forum for this. Please pardon any poor wording, I'm not used to formatting things for the computer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think that can be done more simply as a "proof by contradiction". If an infinitesmal, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] were a member of R, it would have to be 0, positive or negative. It cannot be 0 by definition. If [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] then [itex]1/\epsilon[/itex] would be a positive real number. By the Archimedean property (which essentially is what says infinitesmals cannot be real numbers) there exist a positive integer N such that [itex]N> 1/\epsilon[/itex] from which [itex]1/N< \epsilon[/itex], a contradiction. I'll leave the last case, that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a negative real number, to you.

I thought proof 1 was fine (other than neglecting the possibility of negative infinitessimals). It's the same argument -- the Archmedean principle is essentially the statement that "1/n --> 0 as n --> infinity", and his invokation of the squeeze theorem works out to essentially the same thing as your argument by contradiction.

Oh wait, nevermind -- I just noticed he didn't actually invoke the squeeze theorem, he just duplicated its proof in his argument.

Isn't his proof 2 the same thing as your argument, HoI?

Last edited:

Pretty much, yeah. But mine was prettier!

(There were a number of special symbols my reader could not interpret so I was not clear what he was saying.)

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm really glad that each approach I used will work with some modifications.

Hurkyl: Thanks for pointing out that I needed to consider negative infinitesimals. I always seem to forget some important part of a proof.

HallofIvy: Your proof by contradiction was certainly prettier than mine! Thanks for the input!

avec_holl: have you worked out how to redo proof #1 in terms of the squeeze theorem? I think it's a good idea -- you were clearly thinking along those lines, and it would be a good exercise to figure out how to work efficiently with those thoughts.

Related to Are there any infinitesimals in R?

1. What are infinitesimals?

Infinitesimals are mathematical objects that are smaller than any real number but larger than zero. They are used in calculus to represent the concept of an infinitely small quantity.

2. Are infinitesimals in the set of real numbers (R)?

No, infinitesimals are not included in the set of real numbers (R). The set of real numbers only contains finite numbers, while infinitesimals are infinitely small and cannot be represented by a real number.

3. Can infinitesimals be used in calculus?

Yes, infinitesimals can be used in calculus as a tool to represent the concept of a limit. However, they are not considered to be rigorous mathematical objects and have been replaced by the concept of limits and derivatives.

4. Are infinitesimals still used in mathematics?

Yes, infinitesimals are still used in certain branches of mathematics, such as non-standard analysis. In this approach, infinitesimals are considered to be legitimate mathematical objects and are used to provide a different perspective on calculus.

5. Why are infinitesimals not included in the set of real numbers?

The inclusion of infinitesimals in the set of real numbers would violate the axioms and properties of real numbers. For example, infinitesimals would not follow the laws of addition and multiplication in the same way that real numbers do. Therefore, they are excluded from the set of real numbers to maintain the consistency of the mathematical system.