Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?

In summary, according to the user, there are no elements found in space but not on Earth. There are 118 known elements, and 94 of these are found naturally on Earth. There are 24 synthetic elements, and these are not found naturally occurring on Earth. It is possible that dark matter may be some "new" element. The thread was closed after discussion about known science.
zuz
TL;DR Summary
Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?
Are there any elements found in space but not on Earth?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know, but give me five minutes on the Internet and I'll bet I could find out!

Likes davenn and Vanadium 50
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.

search for 'transuranic elements in spectra of type A stars' and you will get some information. What I got was outside of my understanding comfort zone -- e.g., 'process -r' -- so you can play with it on your own. My possbily wrong take: the largest stars undergo nucleosynthesis.

Nanodiamond. It can only be synthetically produced on earth. I do believe (:

zuz said:
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.
30 seconds later:

In total, 118 elements have been identified. The first 94 occur naturally on Earth, and the remaining 24 are synthetic elements.

Likes Vanadium 50
No.
@ETsmyhomeboy - nanodiamonds are carbon. Carbon is an element found on Earth. You and I have carbon atoms in us.

@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.

Likes Dragrath and ETsmyhomeboy
jim mcnamara said:
@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.
As far as my 30 seconds research goes, all naturally occurring elements are found on Earth. There are no elements that cannot be found on Earth.

Likes davenn
Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now, knowing this...the universe is a big place, and it's been around a long time. How is it that we have every possible element that was ever created here on Earth? I'm not suggesting you're wrong. It just seems a little coincidental. Could dark matter be some "new" element. I'm just throwing ideas around.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
@zuz Please - no 'throwing ideas around' that gets into speculation. PF is about known Science, as in textbooks and journals. The general discussion forum here is more flexible for that. Thread closed.

Likes Dragrath and davenn

Related to Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?

1. What are the elements found in space that are not on Earth?

Some of the elements found in space that are not on Earth include helium, hydrogen, neon, and argon. These elements are commonly found in stars and nebulae, but are not present in significant amounts on Earth due to their low atomic mass and high volatility.

2. How are these elements formed in space?

Most of the elements found in space are formed through nuclear fusion reactions in the cores of stars. These reactions fuse lighter elements together to form heavier elements, which are then released into space through stellar explosions or stellar winds.

3. Why are these elements not found on Earth?

The elements found in space are not present on Earth because they are not stable at Earth's atmospheric conditions. These elements are either too light to be retained by Earth's gravity or too reactive to exist in our oxygen-rich atmosphere.

4. Are there any other elements that are unique to space?

Yes, there are several other elements that are unique to space, including lithium, beryllium, and boron. These elements are formed through cosmic ray spallation, a process in which high-energy particles from space collide with atoms in the interstellar medium.

5. How do scientists study these elements found in space?

Scientists study these elements through a variety of methods, including spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted by these elements to determine their composition. They also use space probes and telescopes to collect samples and data from distant objects in space.