Are the following Relations Equivalence Relations?

In summary, there are two equivalence classes for the given relations: the set of all even integers and the set of all odd integers. This is because the relations are based on parity, where two numbers are equivalent if and only if they have the same parity. Therefore, each number belongs to one and only one equivalence class, resulting in two distinct classes.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Decide if the following are Equivalence relations and if so describe their classes

i) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if 2 divides a^2+b^2
ii) a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b if 2b[itex]\geq[/itex] a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ii) isn't an equivalence relation. it is reflexive but not symmetric. 2a [itex]\geq[/itex] b

i) Its reflexive as [itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]a^2[/itex] = 2[itex]a^2[/itex] which is divisable by 2.
its symmetric
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]b^2[/itex] = 2x
[itex]b^2[/itex]+[itex]a^2[/itex] = [itex]2a^2[/itex]+[itex]2b^2[/itex]-[itex]a^2[/itex]-[itex]b^2[/itex]
[itex]b^2[/itex]+[itex]a^2[/itex] = [itex]2a^2[/itex]+[itex]2b^2[/itex]-2x
[itex]b^2[/itex]+[itex]a^2[/itex] = 2[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]b^2[/itex]-x)
so its divisable by 2

its symetric
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]b^2[/itex] = 2x
[itex]b^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2y

we need to show [itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2w

[itex]b^2[/itex] = 2y-[itex]c^2[/itex]
this gives[itex]a^2[/itex]+2y-[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2x
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2x-2y-[itex]2c^2[/itex]
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2(x-y-[itex]c^2[/itex])

so it is an equivalence relation. As for the classes are there infinity/2 classes? plus how do i describe them? if a & b are both even or both odd they are divisable by 2 but if a is odd and b is even or vise versa then it is not...

Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:
As for the classes are there infinity/2 classes? plus how do i describe them? if a & b are both even or both odd they are divisable by 2 but if a is odd and b is even or vise versa then it is not...

Rephrasing what you said, [itex]a \equiv b[/itex] if and only if [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] have the same parity (even or odd). So all the even numbers are equivalent to each other, and all the odd numbers are equivalent to each other. No even number is equivalent to any odd number. So how many equivalence classes are there?

gtfitzpatrick said:
[itex]b^2[/itex] = 2y-[itex]c^2[/itex]
this gives[itex]a^2[/itex]+2y-[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2x
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2x-2y-[itex]2c^2[/itex]
[itex]a^2[/itex]+[itex]c^2[/itex] = 2(x-y-[itex]c^2[/itex])

I think you mean
[itex] a^2+c^2=2x-2y+2c^2 [/itex]

Also, you don't have to put [/ itex] until you're ready to use words again. :)

Hi, thanks for reply.

My first parts are right?

There are infinite classes?

The other parts look fine. But uh, what are a and b? Integers? Naturals? Reals?

ArcanaNoir said:
I think you mean
[itex] a^2+c^2=2x-2y+2c^2 [/itex]

Also, you don't have to put [/ itex] until you're ready to use words again. :)

thanks arcananoir so that gives [itex] a^2+c^2=2(x-y+c^2) [/itex] which is divisible by 2

ArcanaNoir said:
The other parts look fine. But uh, what are a and b? Integers? Naturals? Reals?

integers

Okay then there are not infinite classes. Look at what jbunniii said.

damn I'm not sure. if there are infinite odd and infinite even equivalences then are there not infinite classes {1,1}, {1,3}, {2,4}, {-2,4} ...

gtfitzpatrick said:
damn I'm not sure. if there are infinite odd and infinite even equivalences then are there not infinite classes {1,1}, {1,3}, {2,4}, {-2,4} ...

I think you are confused about what an equivalence class is. Every number lies in exactly one equivalence class, so you can't have both {2,4} and {-2,4} as equivalence classes. And what is {1,1}? Isn't it just {1}?

It might help to look at a concrete example. Let's take the number 1. It lies in exactly one equivalence class. What is this class? It is the set of ALL numbers equivalent to 1. Can you tell me what those numbers are?

you can also look at it this way:
what is the class 2/R?
it's the set of all integers such that 2Rb, or, 2 relates to it (some other integer).
What numbers relate to 2?

Now, since we're partitioning the integers, all sets must be disjoint, no overlap.

What is the class created by 4/R? (What numbers relate to 4?)

Are these the same numbers that relate to 2?

If so, 2, and 4 create the same equivalence class.

What other numbers create this equivalence class?

Now, what numbers have we left out?

In the end, how many disjoint sets do you have?

Remember, each integer can only be in ONE set.

Thanks for your patience!

So there are 2 equivalence classes, The set of all even integers and the set of all odd integers?

gtfitzpatrick said:
Thanks for your patience!

So there are 2 equivalence classes, The set of all even integers and the set of all odd integers?

Correct.

Related to Are the following Relations Equivalence Relations?

1. What is another equivalence relation?

Another equivalence relation is a relation between two elements that satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. It is a way to group elements together based on shared characteristics.

2. How is another equivalence relation different from a regular equivalence relation?

Another equivalence relation is different from a regular equivalence relation because it can have different properties, such as being reflexive but not symmetric or transitive. It is also possible for two elements to be related to each other in multiple ways under another equivalence relation.

3. What are some examples of another equivalence relation?

Some examples of another equivalence relation include "having the same color," "being parallel," and "being equivalent under a specific operation." In each of these examples, elements are related to each other based on a specific shared characteristic.

4. How is another equivalence relation used in mathematics?

Another equivalence relation is used in mathematics to classify elements into equivalence classes, which can make it easier to analyze and understand a mathematical concept. It is also used to define important mathematical concepts, such as congruence and similarity.

5. Can another equivalence relation be defined on any set?

Yes, another equivalence relation can be defined on any set, as long as it satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This allows for the classification of elements in any set, including numbers, shapes, and even abstract concepts.