Are T and T2 the Same in Physics Equilibrium Problems?

• Thread starter prakhargupta3301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about determining whether T and T2 are the same, with the solution being that T2=T and the main point being that when solving for multiple unknowns, one must draw separate free-body diagrams for each unknown.
prakhargupta3301

Homework Statement

In the figures:[/B]
uOhajQ.png

upload_2018-6-29_13-5-14.png

Are T and T2 same?

Homework Equations

This is just a yes and no answer[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want anything solved. I've actually solved it already and have gotten T2= T
NOTE( T≠T1 here)

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-29_13-5-14.png
    upload_2018-6-29_13-5-14.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 621
  • uOhajQ.png
    uOhajQ.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 598
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have solved it, why are you asking?

I have solved it but I'm frequently paranoid regarding the errors I make while solving questions. So wanted to make sure.
That's why I needed your help.

I've just suggested this method over on your other thread.

You can erase the 10kg mass and the 200n force and apply f=ma to what's left.

CWatters said:
I've just suggested this method over on your other thread.

You can erase the 10kg mass and the 200n force and apply f=ma to what's left.
Well, this is quite obviously equivalent. The main point is that if you have a set of ##N## unknowns you need to draw the free-body diagrams of ##N## different systems where those unknowns (and no other unknowns) appear. In this case, you can draw the fbd of the full system (which in both cases result in the same) and then choose whether or not to draw the FBD of the latter part or the rightmost box. Since ##T_1## is internal it will not appear in any of those FBDs and you end up with two unknowns, ##T_2## and ##a## or (in the first case) ##T## and ##a##.

Related to Are T and T2 the Same in Physics Equilibrium Problems?

What is tension?

Tension is the force or pressure that is applied to an object, often in opposing directions, causing it to stretch or compress.

Why is tension important?

Tension is important because it affects the stability, strength, and overall behavior of objects and materials. It is also a key factor in many physical and mechanical processes.

Will the tension be the same in all materials?

No, tension can vary depending on the properties and characteristics of different materials. Factors such as elasticity, density, and structure can all affect the tension in a material.

How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be measured indirectly through the strain or deformation caused by the tension.

Can tension be altered or controlled?

Yes, tension can be altered or controlled through various means such as changing the applied force, adjusting the material properties, or using additional supports or structures.