Are scientists really taken for granted in America?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: Mad_scientist" In summary, the conversation discusses the portrayal of scientists as "mad" in popular culture and how this can lead to them being taken for granted or not being taken seriously. The article about mad scientists on Wikipedia is mentioned and deemed accurate. The conversation also mentions the Unabomber and other "mad" scientists in history, as well as the prevalence of mad scientists in TV shows and movies. The shift towards portraying scientists as cold and power-hungry is also mentioned.
Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_scientist"

When I tried to get you to realize that scientist are taken for granted I have an article to show you what I mean.

In America not only are scientists taken with light attention that are also laughed at. No more have they made into dorkful geeks they think we're crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what your problem is with that article. I think it's a very accurate article about what a 'mad scientist' is.

Line said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_scientist"

When I tried to get you to realize that scientist are taken for granted I have an article to show you what I mean.

In America not only are scientists taken with light attention that are also laughed at. No more have they made into dorkful geeks they think we're crazy.

I also think it's a good article. And, being a mad scientist myself, I'm not even offended. Buwahahahaha! :smile: :devil: :smile:

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientists are insane. Haven't you seen the Disney thread?

Hmm, I did not know that the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski) was a pure mathematician :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Scientists are insane. Haven't you seen the Disney thread?
And don't forget therd killer champions...It was terrible that Franzbear created...
You do realize Zz is a mod

A recent survey of 1000 horror films distributed in the UK between the 1930s and 1980s reveals that mad scientists or their creations have been the villains of 30 per cent of the films; that scientific research has produced 39 per cent of the threats; and, by contrast, that scientists have been the heroes of a mere 11.

wOw :bugeye:

mattmns said:
Hmm, I did not know that the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski) was a pure mathematician :smile:

ANd he was very against technology. SO against that he stayed in complex by himself and only typed on a typewriter.

I accidentally let an evil cackle slip today in the lab, and now everyone knows I really am a mad scientist. :devil:

Moonbear said:
I accidentally let an evil cackle slip today in the lab, and now everyone knows I really am a mad scientist. :devil:
I never doubted you. Did you rub your palms together and mutter,
"Soon it will be mine, all mine, they'll see..."?
I'll send you a teasing comb to add a madder, wilder allure to those smooth tresses.:smile:

Math Is Hard said:
I never doubted you. Did you rub your palms together and mutter,
"Soon it will be mine, all mine, they'll see..."?
I'll send you a teasing comb to add a madder, wilder allure to those smooth tresses.:smile:
Oh, never fear, it's winter here...static electricity is all it takes to get these tresses looking wild. :smile:

I didn't say the article was angering me. I meant it was about things that do. There are countless TV shows and movies with "Mad Scientests".

Line said:
I didn't say the article was angering me. I meant it was about things that do. There are countless TV shows and movies with "Mad Scientests".
There are, actually, yes. Most science fiction plots are about science gone awry, and most of those involve scientists who are trying to do something "unnatural". There has been a big shift away from "mad" scientists, though to Eisenhowerian Industrial-Military scientists who are coldly and frankly seeking more power in new and grotesque and illegal ways.

Related to Are scientists really taken for granted in America?

1. Are scientists really taken for granted in America?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. While there are certainly some individuals who may take scientists for granted, the perception of scientists in America is complex and varies based on different factors such as political beliefs, personal experiences, and media representation.

2. Why do some people take scientists for granted?

There are a few possible reasons for this. Some people may not fully understand the work that scientists do or the impact they have on society. Others may have had negative experiences with certain scientific findings or feel threatened by the idea of change. Additionally, in the age of social media and misinformation, some individuals may choose to ignore or discredit scientific evidence that goes against their beliefs.

3. How are scientists perceived in American society?

The perception of scientists in American society is not uniform. While some may view scientists as heroes who are working to improve our world, others may see them as out-of-touch elites or even as villains who are pushing their own agendas. The overall perception can also change depending on the specific field of science and current events.

4. What are the consequences of taking scientists for granted?

If scientists are taken for granted, it can have serious consequences for society. Without proper support and recognition, scientific research and progress may be hindered. This can also lead to a lack of trust in scientific findings and decisions made based on those findings, which can have far-reaching effects on public health, policy-making, and technological advancements.

5. How can we prevent scientists from being taken for granted?

One way to prevent scientists from being taken for granted is by promoting scientific literacy and critical thinking skills in the general public. This can help individuals better understand the value and importance of scientific research and evidence. Additionally, it is important for media outlets and public figures to accurately represent science and its findings, and for policymakers to listen to and support the scientific community.