Are Rational Numbers Truly Dense in the Real Number System?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers, and the concept of the rationals being dense in the real numbers. It is debated whether this is equivalent to all real numbers being limit points of the rationals, and it is concluded that it is. The process of constructing a sequence of intersections around any given real number is also discussed.
aaaa202
I have in my book the statement: Every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers. Now, I have heard somewhere that the rationals are dense in the real numbers, which I assumed was the property stated above, but then it turns out that it means that all real numbers are limit points of the rationals. Are the two statements equivalent.
My guess is yes: For since every interval has rational numbers we can construct at sequence of intersections about any given real number a which by completeness should converge to a. But then choosing the sequence of rational numbers that are in the successive intersections we get a sequence of rationals with limit point a. But my problem is: Do we know that we can always construct a sequence of intersections around any real number?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I have in my book the statement: Every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers. Now, I have heard somewhere that the rationals are dense in the real numbers, which I assumed was the property stated above, but then it turns out that it means that all real numbers are limit points of the rationals. Are the two statements equivalent.
My guess is yes: For since every interval has rational numbers we can construct at sequence of intersections about any given real number a which by completeness should converge to a. But then choosing the sequence of rational numbers that are in the successive intersections we get a sequence of rationals with limit point a. But my problem is: Do we know that we can always construct a sequence of intersections around any real number?

Just define the nth interval to be (a-1/n,a+1/n). There's not much need to 'construct' anything.

Related to Are Rational Numbers Truly Dense in the Real Number System?

1. What does it mean for rationals to be dense in the reals?

When we say that the rationals are dense in the reals, it means that between any two real numbers, there exists a rational number. In other words, the set of rational numbers is infinite and closely packed within the set of real numbers.

2. How do you prove that rationals are dense in the reals?

To prove that the rationals are dense in the reals, we use a proof by contradiction. We assume that there is a gap between two real numbers and then use the properties of rational numbers (such as being able to find the average between two rational numbers) to show that there must be a rational number within that gap, thus contradicting our initial assumption.

3. Can you give an example of how rationals are dense in the reals?

Yes, consider the real numbers 1.5 and 2.5. Between these two numbers, we can find the rational number 2. This shows that the rationals are dense in the reals as there is always a rational number between any two real numbers.

4. Why is it important to know that rationals are dense in the reals?

Knowing that the rationals are dense in the reals is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis. It allows us to approximate real numbers with rational numbers and perform calculations with them. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of the real number system.

5. Are there any other sets that are dense in the reals?

Yes, there are other sets that are dense in the reals, such as the set of irrational numbers and the set of algebraic numbers (numbers that can be written as the root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients). However, the set of rationals is the most commonly used and studied dense set in the context of real analysis.