Are Prime Numbers More Than Just Random Numbers? A Look at Du Sautoy's Theories

• Thread starter SeManTics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superdigit primes and their uniqueness and difficulty in calculation. The man in the conversation mentions that primes are the differences between consecutive squares, but not all primes are odd numbers. There is then a discussion about whether there are any prime numbers that are not odd. The conversation shifts to discussing a book by du Sautoy on the topic, with one person questioning whether the man has actually read the book before asking his question.
SeManTics
A man called du Sautoy proclaimed in a book that some superdigit primes are unique, hard to calculate and probably have some sort of special underlying pattern. All I can tell is that a prime is the difference between two consecutive squares. What have YOU come up with?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The differences between consecutive squares are the odd numbers. Not ever odd number is prime, and not every prime is an odd number, so what are you getting at?

matt grime said:
...Not ever odd number is prime, and not every prime is an odd number, so what are you getting at?

Is there such prime number that is not odd?

Yes. It is less than three, but greater than one.

is it 1.3?

or how bout 1.1?

I'd have to say JonF is closer.

needhalp : all evens >2 are divisible by 2, hence, non-prime.

Semantics : You must be talking of du Sautoy from Oxford. And you must be referring to 'Music of the Primes' but surely you can't have read the book and end up asking a question like this. Where did you find this claim ?

Nothing. I'm just saying if prime numbers were not random numbers, if there was a pattern or the like, what would it be? But I needed a base to have reason to begin this string, and when I saw this guys book, I saw he was addressing the issue. But I'm not sure that book was Music of the Primes.

Related to Are Prime Numbers More Than Just Random Numbers? A Look at Du Sautoy's Theories

1. What is the significance of the work of Du Sautoy in the study of prime numbers?

Du Sautoy's work has greatly advanced our understanding of prime numbers, which are an essential part of number theory and have applications in various fields such as cryptography and coding. He has made significant contributions in the areas of prime number distribution, prime number patterns, and the connection between prime numbers and other mathematical concepts such as symmetry and geometry.

2. What are some key findings of Du Sautoy's research on prime numbers?

Du Sautoy has uncovered several fascinating patterns and properties of prime numbers, such as the existence of prime number constellations and the presence of hidden symmetries in prime number distributions. He has also made progress in solving long-standing problems in number theory, such as the famous Riemann Hypothesis.

3. How has Du Sautoy's work impacted other areas of mathematics?

Du Sautoy's research on prime numbers has not only deepened our understanding of these elusive numbers, but it has also led to new insights and developments in other areas of mathematics. For example, his work on prime number patterns has provided new perspectives on the nature of randomness and chaos in mathematical systems.

4. What makes Du Sautoy's approach to studying prime numbers unique?

Du Sautoy is known for his interdisciplinary approach to studying prime numbers, drawing on ideas and techniques from fields such as algebra, geometry, and physics. He also has a knack for explaining complex mathematical concepts in a clear and accessible manner, making his work appealing to both experts and non-experts.

5. What can we expect from Du Sautoy's future research on prime numbers?

Du Sautoy's work on prime numbers is ongoing, and he continues to push the boundaries of our understanding in this field. Some of his ongoing projects include investigating the connection between prime numbers and quantum mechanics and exploring the role of prime numbers in the structure of the universe.