Are neutrinos much more abundant than atoms?

In summary, Orodruin explains that the baryon asymmetry is due to the fact that the universe contains more leptons than protons. This asymmetry is preserved in the form of lepton number exchange, although it may not always be accurate.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,

I once read in several links just a couple of days ago, that the number of neutrinos exceeds the number of baryon in the universe by several orders of magnitude.
1. Is that true, that neutrinos are much more abundant than atoms?
2. Do neutrinos have mass? Not that they are catholic :smile:
3. If they have mass, I know I should have calculated it myself, which is more massive? Neutrinos or atoms in the universe?
4. Baryon asymetriy.
Does that includes electron and neutrino?

Thanks for any explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
1. Is that true, that neutrinos are much more abundant than atoms?
Yes, at least according to the standard picture we have of the Universe. It should be said that most neutrinos are very low energy background neutrinos and this background has yet to be experimentally verified. If true, and again this is a must based on standard cosmology, the only particle more abundant would be photons due to the CMB.

Stephanus said:
2. Do neutrinos have mass?
Yes. The observation of neutrino oscillations verifies this.

Stephanus said:
3. If they have mass, I know I should have calculated it myself, which is more massive? Neutrinos or atoms in the universe?
Baryons are far heavier than neutrinos. Based on your question, you are looking for which has the higher mass density, the baryons still win - a proton is at least 1000000000 times more massive than a neutrino.

Stephanus said:
4. Baryon asymetriy.
Does that includes electron and neutrino?
No. Neutrinos and electrons are not baryons.

Likes Stephanus
Orodruin said:
No. Neutrinos and electrons are not baryons.
Thanks Orodruin for your answer :smile:

About baryon asymmetry. Okay... electrons and neutrinos are not baryon, they're lepton.
But according to CERN,
http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/matterantimatter-asymmetry
... about one particle per billion – managed to survive...
As you may already know, this happens in baryogenesis, less than 1 second after big bang.
But if the number of electrons doesn't not match or closely match to the number of protons, should the universe contains highly ionized atoms?

Thanks for your response.

Stephanus said:
But if the number of electrons doesn't not match or closely match to the number of protons, should the universe contains highly ionized atoms?

That there is a baryon asymmetry does not imply that there is no lepton asymmetry. In fact, in order for the Universe to be overall neutral there needs to be roughly as many electrons as protons. This does not mean that the lepton and baryon numbers are equal, a lot of the asymmetry may "hide" in neutrinos. The cosmic neutrino background contains both neutrinos and anti-neutrinos (assuming that they are different particles).

Likes Adit and Stephanus
Thanks again Orodruin for your answer :smile:

May I ask further?
It turns out that there are leptogenesis as well :smile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptogenesis_(physics)
But WHY does leptogenesis asymmetry closely matches baryon asymmetry?
1. Is leptogenesis and baryogenesis asymmetry match - still -one of the science mystery?
2. Is leptogenesis science mystery?
3. Is baryogenesis science mystery?

Thanks for any response.

Stephanus said:
But WHY does leptogenesis asymmetry closely matches baryon asymmetry?

The Standard Model of particle physics allows for a non-perturbative effect called "sphalerons". During sphaleron processes, lepton and baryon numbers are not preserved but are exchanged (B-L is preserved while B+L changes). This leads to baryon number being converted into lepton number and vice versa as long as the sphaleron processes are active (as long as the Universe is hot enough) and the ratio will be fixed as long as they are fast enough to ensure that the process is in equilibrium.

Stephanus said:
2. Is leptogenesis science mystery?
3. Is baryogenesis science mystery?

We do know of several mechanisms through which baryogenesis via leptogenesis (producing the lepton asymmetry first and then having it "spill over" to baryons through sphalerons) could work. The big problem here is that leptogenesis requires the existence of some heavy leptons which have not been observed yet, meaning that it still remains a possible solution only and not a tested hypothesis. Currently, we are not sure how baryogenesis happened, there are some different alternatives, but nothing is confirmed.

Likes Stephanus
Thanks Orodruin for you explanations.

Orodruin said:
... lepton and baryon numbers are not preserved but are exchanged (B-L is preserved while B+L changes). This leads to baryon number being converted into lepton number and vice versa...
Perhaps my English is poor (and also my math), but..
If lepton and baryon numbers are exchanged, shouldn't it B + L = C, constant?
On the other hand, if B - C = C, constant, should we say that , the difference between Baryon and lepton numbers are constant, although B/C might changes. Or the equation is wrong?

Thanks for your answer.

Stephanus said:
You exchange a lepton for an antibaryon or vice versa. The difference is constant, right.

There are models where B-L is not exactly conserved, but that is a different thing.

If you have no baryon so [itex]B=0[/itex] and a lepton with [itex]L=1[/itex] and you say there is a [itex]B-L[/itex] symmetry...

Then [itex]B-L=-1[/itex] , so if conserved you can have as a result an antibaryon where [itex]B=-1[/itex] and no lepton [itex]L=0[/itex] (a lepton has changed into a antibaryon)...
The [itex]B+L = 1[/itex] at first, then [itex]B+L =-1[/itex]

Perhaps my English is poor (and also my math), but..
On the other hand, if B - L = C (not B - C = C, edited), constant, should we say that , the difference between Baryon and lepton numbers are constant, although B/L (not B/C, edited) might changes. Or the equation is wrong?

Bold red is EDITED!

ChrisVer said:
If you have no baryon so [itex]B=0[/itex] and a lepton with [itex]L=1[/itex] and you say there is a [itex]B-L[/itex] symmetry...

Then [itex]B-L=-1[/itex] , so if conserved you can have as a result an antibaryon where [itex]B=-1[/itex] and no lepton [itex]L=0[/itex] (a lepton has changed into a antibaryon)...
The [itex]B+L = 1[/itex] at first, then [itex]B+L =-1[/itex]

Thanks ChrisVer for your answer,
But it's Orodruin phrase that I like confirmation:
... lepton and baryon numbers are not preserved but are exchanged (B-L is preserved while B+L changes).
Perhaps my understanding in English (or Math) is incorrect.
IF ...lepton and baryon numbers are not preserved but are exchanged, shouldn't it B + L = constant?
It's not the physics that I like to know, but the phrase. So I can get the correct answer.

Did you read my answer in post 8?
The "exchanged" in Orodruin's post didn't specify the sign.

Likes Stephanus
mfb said:
The "exchanged" in Orodruin's post didn't specify the sign.

This.

I considered the sign evident from the conservation of B-L.

Likes Stephanus
Oh, it's the "subatomic number", I think it's the "amount" of baryon.
Okay, I think this is really particle physics. Sorry, I really have no background in this area.
But, thanks for the answer.

Related to Are neutrinos much more abundant than atoms?

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and are incredibly tiny. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe.

2. How do neutrinos compare to atoms in terms of abundance?

Neutrinos are much more abundant than atoms. It is estimated that there are about 1 billion neutrinos for every atom in the universe.

3. Why are neutrinos so abundant?

Neutrinos are produced in large quantities during nuclear reactions, such as those that occur in the core of the sun. They can also be created in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

4. Can neutrinos be detected?

Yes, neutrinos can be detected, but they are very difficult to detect due to their tiny size and lack of electric charge. Scientists use large detectors, such as underground tanks filled with water or ice, to capture the rare interactions of neutrinos with other particles.

5. What is the importance of studying neutrinos?

Studying neutrinos can help us better understand the universe and the fundamental particles that make it up. Neutrinos have also been found to play a crucial role in many astrophysical phenomena, such as supernovae explosions and the formation of galaxies.