Are hyperbolic substitutions absolutely necessary?

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbolic
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's familiarity with both trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions for solving integrals. They express that while trigonometric substitutions may seem simpler, they often forget the logarithmic form of inverse hyperbolic functions. They also ask if there are any cases where trigonometric substitution fails. The response states that both substitutions are suitable for dealing with square roots inside integrals and it ultimately comes down to the individual's proficiency with manipulating identities and integrals. Both substitutions use exponentials to simplify the problem and are considered equivalent.
PFuser1232
I am familiar with both trigonometric (circular) and hyperbolic substitutions, and I have solved several integrals using both substitutions.
I feel like trigonometric substitutions are a lot simpler, however. Even in cases where the substitution yields an integral of secant raised to an odd power. I feel like it's a lot easier to apply the reduction formula for secant than to memorize and apply hyperbolic identities.
Granted, hyperbolic identities are not that different from circular identities, but oftentimes I forget the logarithmic form of inverse hyperbolic functions.
So what my question boils down to is:
Are there any cases where trigonometric substitution fails?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both substitutions are suitable for dealing with square roots inside integrals if you can do a problem with normal trig you can do it with hyperbolic trig. In the end it boils down to how well you can manipulate trigonometric identities and integrals vs hyperbolic ones. Even if you are not that good with trigonometry using the exponential expressions for the trigonometric and hyperbolic functions gets the job done, so basically both substitutions are a clever way to use exponentials to simplify the problem and thus are equivalent.

Likes PFuser1232

Related to Are hyperbolic substitutions absolutely necessary?

1. What are hyperbolic substitutions?

Hyperbolic substitutions are mathematical techniques used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. These substitutions involve replacing trigonometric functions with hyperbolic functions, which leads to easier calculations and solutions.

2. Why are hyperbolic substitutions necessary?

Hyperbolic substitutions are necessary because they allow us to solve difficult integrals involving trigonometric functions. Without these substitutions, many integrals would be impossible to solve or would require much more complex methods.

3. Are hyperbolic substitutions always used in solving integrals?

No, hyperbolic substitutions are not always necessary in solving integrals. In some cases, simpler methods or other substitutions may be used to solve the integral. However, hyperbolic substitutions are often very useful and commonly used in solving many integrals involving trigonometric functions.

4. Can hyperbolic substitutions be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, hyperbolic substitutions can be used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and geometry. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using hyperbolic substitutions?

One potential drawback of using hyperbolic substitutions is that they may introduce new variables and functions, making the solution more complicated. Additionally, using these substitutions may not always lead to the most elegant or efficient solution to an integral. However, in many cases, the benefits of using hyperbolic substitutions outweigh any potential drawbacks.