Are Gas Giants Really Planets?

In summary, a planet is an object that is solid cored, spherical, in a circular or as close to circular orbit around a Sun, and not in orbit around another planet.
Aquafire
When is a Planet a planet...?

and when is it just a ball of gas..?

My personal belief is that Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus...should NOT be considered planets.

How can you call a spheroid ball of rotating gases a planet ?

Surely, if you can't step on it, land on it or float on it...its not a planet..

So for what its worth my definition of a Planet would any object that is..

A. Solid cored.

B. Spherical

C. In an circular or as close to circular orbit around a Sun.

D. Not in orbit around another planet.

E. Is not a failed or collapsed star or proto-star..

F. Is not a ball of gas with a liquid core...So...maybe..(since we're tossing out Pluto)...we should also give Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune the flick...

I stress, this is a personal definition.

In anycase, i'd like to read other peoples POV's... on this..

Cheers

Aquafire

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't really care wheter there are five, or eight, or fiftyseven planets. It's just a matter of definition.
It think this discussion is kind of awkward for the scientific community.

First, Jupiter does likely have a solid core and if it doesn't, it's only because it is so hot it is liquid.

But that's besides the point: you most certainly can float on Jupiter, just like you can float either on the Earth's ocean or in its atmosphere depending on your buoyancy.

Also, why? Why do you choose these criteria? They seem arbitrary to me. (not that other defnitions wouldn't be...)

Something else I forgot - gas giants are already labeled as "gas giants" - as opposed to "terrestrial" planets.

Those are my thoughts as well, although I disagree with letter D, and I'm unsure about letter C.

As Russ pointed out, Jupiter is believed to have a solid core, probably metallic hydrogen.

Surely, if you can't step on it, land on it or float on it...its not a planet..
Is not a valid criterion. But as Russ also indicated, there are giant planets with a lot of gas or liquid, which are composed mainly hydrogen, methane, ammonia, . . . and there are 'rocky', or terrestrial planets.

JUPITER AND SATURN EVOLUTION BY GAS ACCRETION ONTO A SOLID CORE pdf - use 'save target as'

Then there is the matter of the giant exoplanets which are periodically discovered which are Jupiter-sized or larger, or Neptune-sized.

Giant Planets Orbiting Faraway Stars - http://astro.berkeley.edu/~gmarcy/0398marcy.html

Also, if a person tried to land on Venus, he/she would be 'cooked' pretty quickly. As for Mars, one has to take one's oxygen to breath and one would need an artificial environment in order to survive.

Definitions are perhaps arbitrary and should be as simple as possible.

Last edited:
We know the sun is orbiting the galaxy's center. Is it also spinning?

heliocentricprose said:
We know the sun is orbiting the galaxy's center. Is it also spinning?

Yes .

Related to Are Gas Giants Really Planets?

1. What is the difference between balls of gas and planets?

A ball of gas is a celestial object made up of mainly hydrogen and helium with no solid surface, while a planet is a celestial body that orbits around a star and has enough mass to form a spherical shape due to its own gravity.

2. Why are balls of gas not considered planets?

Balls of gas are not considered planets because they do not meet the criteria set by the International Astronomical Union for a celestial body to be classified as a planet. These criteria include having a clear orbit around a star, enough mass to form a spherical shape, and the ability to clear the area around its orbit.

3. Can balls of gas turn into planets?

Yes, under certain conditions, balls of gas can turn into planets. This process is known as planet formation and it occurs when the gas and dust particles in a protoplanetary disk clump together due to gravity, eventually forming a planet.

4. Are balls of gas important in the formation of planets?

Yes, balls of gas play a crucial role in the formation of planets. As mentioned before, they are the main building blocks of planets, providing the necessary materials for planet formation. Additionally, the gravitational influence of balls of gas can also affect the orbits and movements of other objects in the protoplanetary disk, leading to the formation of planets.

5. What other types of celestial objects are not considered planets?

In addition to balls of gas, other types of celestial objects that are not considered planets include dwarf planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and small bodies in the outer solar system known as Kuiper Belt Objects.